Do you want to start your own small vegetable growing business? Or do you just need greenhouseto provide them for your family?
Please - there are a lot of offers on the market. As a budget option, you can consider and do it yourself greenhouse from HDPE pipes.
DIY greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes
The choice of pipes for the greenhouse is due to their strength. We will not be interested in parameters such as working pressure and other characteristics for water pipes. The pipe should be plastic and solid, withstand aggressive environment and heavy weight.
TO merits polypropylene can be attributed to it environmental friendliness - pipes from it are used to supply drinking water, which means that there are no harmful impurities in the material and vapors. The flexibility of the material allows you to mount arched structures. Such pipes steady to high temperatures. Another advantage is the weight - they are the lightest of all plastic pipes. The greenhouse structure can be easily transferred to another place, it does not require much physical effort to create it.
disadvantages few, but quite serious. When -15 ° C polypropylene pipes become brittle and can collapse under the weight of the snow. The frame of them must be disassembled and removed for the winter. Such pipes sensitive to ultraviolet, which reduces the operational properties - they can deform.
HDPE pipes from polyvinyl chloride have the same advantages as polypropylenebut more UV resistant.
The service life of pipes is from 10 to 12 years.
To make a greenhouse with your own hands from polypropylene pipes, the pipe diameter (outer) can be from 13 to 25 mm, depending on the severity of the covering material. For the film, a 13 mm pipe is enough, for polycarbonate - 20-25 mm. The wall thickness must be at least 3 mm. Such parameters will provide structural strength.
DIY greenhouse made from polypropylene pipes - a photo:
How to pin to plastic frame film without damaging it? Together with arcs for a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes, there are usually special clipssimply clamping the film in the right places. They are plastic, so they are safe for its integrity. They are also sold separately in packs of 10 pieces. When purchasing ready-made clips, pay attention to the diameter of the pipe for which they are intended.
Can be done clamps do it yourself from scraps of the same pipes. To do this, small pieces about 7-10 cm long. They are cut along the wall and pushed apart. Sharp edges can be processed emery or melt.
Can polycarbonate be mounted on a frame?
Can. The pipes are enough durableto support the weight of the polycarbonate sheets. But here you need to focus on expediency. Greenhouses are built from polycarbonate and polypropylene pipes with their own hands, as a rule, taking into account wintering, they are not intended for permanent assembly-disassembly.
AND polypropylene does not withstand winter temperatures well. In warm regions where winter temperatures do not drop below - 5 ° C, this option is quite justified. Where frosts crack in winter, it is better to make a collapsible greenhouse with a film coating.
Preparation for construction
This, of course, is not a house, but preliminary preparation for the construction. greenhouses made of polypropylene do it yourself is necessary.
Choosing a place, structure, foundation
It starts with a choice places, especially for a stationary greenhouse. The place for construction should be level so that you do not have to complicate the structure.
It should be sunny, otherwise the meaning of its construction is lost.
Usually, a summer or stationary greenhouse is oriented with its ends from south to north. So the sunlight will fill her throughout the day.
The place should be protected from strong winds, from which the steel structure can also collapse.
If this is not possible, the greenhouse should be built so that it is protected at least from the north wind, which brings cold.
The greenhouse should be located at a distance 5 meters from other buildings on the site. Of polypropylene pipes you can build a greenhouse of any design - a house, arched, wall-mounted. The choice depends on the seasonality of use, financial capabilities and the area of the beds that are planned to be split in it.
It also depends on what crops will be grown in it and what the height of the plants will be. The most common summer design is arched greenhouse... It is both aesthetic and functional.
Material for foundation and its type depends on the design. For lightweight film greenhouses, a wooden foundation in the form of a bar or a base of boards will suffice. For a permanent polycarbonate greenhouse, you will need more solid support.
It could be strip foundation... It is durable and is also suitable for a removable structure, if it is not supposed to be moved around the suburban area. In addition, wooden foundation will begin to rot, even if it is well treated with an antiseptic. It will have to be changed approximately every 3-4 years.
Calculation of materials
amount pipes depends on the height and length of the structure, on the coating material - it will be a film or polycarbonate. For a film greenhouse, pipes of a smaller diameter can be used; for polycarbonate, thicker, stronger pipes are needed. In addition, to fasten the stiffeners of the structure, it is necessary to purchase adapter couplings.
The calculation also includes the material from which the foundation will be made. The pipes are attached to it with metal fittings. Internal supports should also be provided. In addition, the fasteners that will be used during construction are calculated.
Important! Before calculating materials, do drawing greenhouses.
How to make greenhouses from polypropylene pipes with your own hands - drawings:
Do it yourself: assembly instructions
How to make carcass do-it-yourself greenhouses made of polypropylene pipes? Greenhouse frame made of HDPE pipes are perhaps the easiest construction to manufacture. For greenhouse size 10x4 you will need:
- base board 2x20 cm - 28 p / m;
- polypropylene or HDPE pipes with a diameter 13 mm - 17 pcs. 6 m each;
- fittings 10-12 mm, rods 3 m long - 10 pcs.;
- strips for lathing ends 2x4 cm according to the drawing;
- plastic connecting clamps;
- fasteners (nuts, bolts, screws, staples);
- aluminum fasteners for connecting arches with a wooden frame;
- coating film;
- clips for fastening the film;
- locks and hinges for vents (if provided).
Arched greenhouse with a frame made of HDPE pipes - step by step instructions:
- At the selected place, a shallow (10-15 cm) trench around the perimeter of the greenhouse. A wooden frame is installed in it. The bottom is covered with sand or lined with roofing material. A beam or board for the foundation must necessarily pass antiseptic treatment to increase the service life. Measure both diagonals of the frame, if they are equal, then it is aligned correctly and has right angles.
- In the corners of the frame, short pieces of reinforcement are hammered into the ground no higher than the sides of the frame. They will keep the structure from deformations.
- The rest of the cut pieces of reinforcement are driven in half the length along the walls from the outside of the frame in increments of 60-62 cm.
- Six-meter pipes are put on on the pins on both sides - first on one, then, with a neat fold, on the other. Attached to the base board with a metal bracket.
- From the ends is done wooden lathing... 4 racks are installed. The distance between them depends on the width of the doorway. Vertical slats are necessarily connected transversely to give rigidity.
- Under the very top of the structure stretches stiffener... To do this, using plastic clamps, two polypropylene pipes are joined and attached to the arches.
- Last step - film fixing using clips - purchased or homemade. The bottom of the coating must be made heavier so that the film does not rise in the wind. You can press it with stones or a long bar.
Reference: To prevent the film from tearing under the clips, cover the structure graduallymaking allowances.
Build from pipes polypropylene greenhouse even a beginner in construction can do it. It will last for more than one year if you use it correctly and, if necessary, replace the wooden frame at the base. Good luck to everyone and good harvests!
Watch a video about a homemade greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes: