Brussels sprouts represent a vegetable culture.
It belongs to the cruciferous family. This plant is a biennial species.
It should be noted that the fruits of cabbage can be obtained only in the second year after its direct planting.
The culture is a long stem, leaves. We will discuss in more detail the beneficial properties and contraindications to the use of Brussels sprouts later in the article.
Nutritional value of the product
Like any other food, Brussels sprouts have their own composition. Total 100 grams of the product accounts for:
- 43 kcal;
- 2.2 sugar;
- 0.3 grams of fat;
- 0.1 grams of fatty acids;
- 0.03 grams of sodium.
The chemical composition of any product is extremely important to the consumer. A vegetable like Brussels sprouts has:
- 0.18 grams of thiamine;
- 0.13 mg riboflavin;
- 0.5 milligrams of pantothenic acid.
Besides the above chemicals a product of this nature contains:
The amount of chemicals was calculated per 100 grams of the product.
Calorie content per 100 grams
For many people, the calorie content of a particular product is very important. Therefore, we cannot skip this point.
In general, there are 43 kcal per 100 grams of this cabbage.
In the event that you cook this cabbage using baking, then the amount of kcal will increase to 156. Read more about cooking vegetables here.
Vitamins are an important content of any product and cabbage is no exception. 100 grams of this cabbage contains:
- vitamin B6 in the amount of 0.30 mg;
- vitamin K - 155 mcg;
- vitamin C - 74 mg.
Proteins, fats and carbohydrates
Proteins, fats and carbohydrates (PFCs) are the main nutrients in every food. 100 grams of Brussels sprouts has:
3 grams of protein;
8 grams of carbohydrates;
9 grams of fat.
Harm to the body
Dishes based on Brussels sprouts are undoubtedly very tasty, but in some cases this component can bring a negative factor to the human body.
The unwanted intake of this cabbage refers to people who have problems with the intestines or have diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The most common harm that cabbage can cause is bloating.
Also cabbage is harmful to people who suffer from a malfunction of the thyroid gland... Cabbage has an element that, when it enters the body, inhibits the work of the glands that produce thyroid hormones.
Benefit for health
There are quite a lot of useful qualities of Brussels sprouts, so we will consider them in the form of a list:
- Eating cabbage reduces the risk of so-called birth defects... If you regularly eat this type of cabbage, then defects in the form of a wolf's lip and spina bifida will not appear. This is due to the fact that there is a sufficient amount of folic acid in Brussels sprouts. It is during pregnancy that this product is indispensable.
- Eating cabbage lowers blood cholesterol... Based on this, this cabbage is useful and improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system. A decrease in this blood element improves human health and minimizes the possibility of various diseases of the heart, liver, and so on.
- Cabbage carries beneficial factors for perfect human vision. This type of product contains a fairly large amount of lutein. If you regularly eat cabbage, then the likelihood of damage to the retina of the eye is reduced to zero, namely, this factor affects the quality of vision. This fact is explained by the fact that cabbage contains the required amount of vitamin A. And this vitamin is an element that improves vision.
- Respiratory diseases are reduced with regular consumption of Brussels sprouts... It is at the heart of this cabbage that there is such an element as beta-carotene. It is an antioxidant with the most powerful effect on the body. This element improves lung function, thereby minimizing respiratory diseases.
- Cabbage also has significant benefits for the human brain.... In this case, vitamin K, which is present in the base of cabbage, has a positive effect. This type of vitamin has the function of protecting neurons from various types of damage.
- How is this cabbage good for women? It Reduces the Risk of Breast Cancer... Many scientists around the world have proven the existence of such a substance as indole-3 carbinol in the composition of Brussels sprouts. Such a substance tends to inhibit the production of cancerous, that is, malignant cells of the breast. Certain studies have shown that malignant tumors are reduced by up to 70 percent when cabbage is consumed.
- With the help of cabbage, prevention of constipation is excellent.... Due to the fact that cabbage has fiber in its composition, we are able to restrict our body from the possible manifestation of constipation. The digestive system is cleansed and functioning properly.
- Due to dietary fiber and vitamin C in cabbage, the use of this product on a regular basis leads to getting rid of the body from heartburn... Such elements also have a positive effect on the functioning of the digestive system. But in this case, you need to be careful when using this product fried. There are people whose stomach, when exposed to fried cabbage, only relaxes, which leads to increased heartburn.
- Also Brussels sprouts helps to eliminate the risk of inflammatory processes in blood vessels and heart... The anti-inflammatory properties of this product are quite large. This is justified by the factor of the presence of many amino acids. This component eliminates the process of inflammation in the vessels of the human body. If a person suffers from diseases of the cardiovascular system, then a vegetable of this type must be included in the diet.
This type of cabbage, like Brussels sprouts, is a contraindication in the form of acute manifestations of a particular chronic disease. Such diseases, as a rule, concern the gastrointestinal tract.
If people suffer from bouts of intestinal spasm, then it is also recommended to limit the use of this cabbage.
If the intestines have certain malfunctions, or if the intestines are simply weak, then it is better to eliminate this product from your diet.
Allergic reactions to cabbage have their own specific reasons:
The ingestion of so-called antibodies into the child's body leads to his allergies. This process can take place during pregnancy or breastfeeding. For advice on eating Brussels sprouts while breastfeeding, see here.
The reason can also be genetics, that is, the rejection of the product will be inherited.
Frequent release of a specific allergen, as well as its immediate dose.
Symptoms in case of cabbage allergy are completely identical to standard food poisoning:
- the victim will feel a tingling sensation in the face, lips and tongue;
- a small rash will appear on the patient's skin. Such a rash, as it is right, is accompanied by itching;
- a person may acquire edema;
- active development of eczema begins.
Treatment of allergies to a product of this type is carried out in a complex manner. The blocking of these allergens is carried out through a long-term effect on the body.
First of all, the patient is prescribed a special diet.
Each patient is different, so the diet is individual. It is very important to start treatment early, especially when it comes to a child.
Quite often, this cabbage is used as a preventive measure. Due to the fact that the vegetable has a fairly large amount of fiber, with the help of it, the work of the digestive tract improves.
There are many ways to cook cabbage. It can be boiled or baked or fried. Each country has its own way of preparing Brussels-type cabbage.
For more information on how to cook Brussels sprouts, read our article.
In this article, we have discussed the use of Brussels sprouts for food. Read also about how the vegetable is grown and a detailed description of the different varieties of Brussels sprouts.
You can learn more about the benefits of Brussels sprouts from the video:
Brussels sprouts have a fairly large number of positive qualities, but do not forget about the disadvantages. Cabbage can cause allergies, so you need to eat it carefully, especially when it comes to children.