Unpleasant in appearance, initiating a feeling of disgust, woodlice belong to the genus of crustaceans, the order of isopods. Despite this, their appearance in the house gives rise to not entirely pleasant emotions.
Nature has disposed in such a way that the main habitat of these "wonderful" insects is considered to be dry land, but those areas where a sufficient amount of moisture accumulates, light does not come (places directly under stones, fallen trees, as well as in the basement, crevices, bathroom). So, during the day, woodlice are not visible, in search of food they creep out at nightfall. What do they eat in our homes? Let's talk about all this in our article.
Brief description of insects
ATTENTION: It turned out that these pests acquired their name due to the fact that they choose to settle in a damp place. As a rule, woodlice lead a more nocturnal way of life, hiding during the day in wet pallets or in the corners of greenhouses, verandas, balconies, terraces.
Woodlice are insects of grayish, dark or dark chestnut color., from three millimeters to two centimeters in length. Woodlice usually have an elliptical shape, it is divided into sections that are united by plates on their back. Any sector of the body contains one pair of legs (in total, there are only seven pairs of legs).
Woodlice have 2 antennae, when danger appears, they simply curl up into a ball and pretend to be dead. The eggs are hatched in the folds of the tummy, then the larvae appear, only then they crawl out.
You can find out more about what woodlice look like, what types of this insect are, here.
What do they eat?
- In bathroomthere is undoubtedly moisture, but no food residues. Only this is not an obstacle, since where there is moisture, the walls, the floor, especially the corners, become moldy, this is a favorite delicacy (why do woodlice appear in the bathroom and toilet?).
- In the kitchen wood lice will be able to take root near sewer pipes, garbage - potato peelings, food - the best food for such a neighbor.
- In the apartment... As a rule, wood lice can find food on the balcony, as well as in the pantry, where vegetables are stored. In a limited place of urban living space, there is less food than in natural conditions, however, an undemanding crustacean is able to be limited to the minimum amount of food intake in the form of:
- green particles of various plants;
- feeders for existing pets;
- various pickles from the garbage bucket.
- In a private house... Usually, woodlice hide in secluded places in the daytime, they go out to search for food in the dark. They are saturated with lean food, can eat like decaying plants, and also damage living ones. With a significant number, these crustaceans will be able to cause specific damage to plants in the house, in the garden.
- In garages, attics, cellars... Woodlice living in basements with leaking pipes find places that store fruit in winter, moldiness or seeds that can seep into the room through cracks or large openings. If this is not a very nutritious food, these insects will have enough of it. But in the cellars or basements, woodlice have plenty of space in terms of nutrition, since here it is possible to find carrots, young onions, and sluggish potatoes. In some cases, these products are easy to find on apartment balconies.
- In wild nature... The process of feeding woodlice in the wild is not difficult to establish - nutrition is formed by the environment - plant fragments spoiled by moisture, branches, also tree bark, including the remains of dead organisms, rotten twigs, leaves.
How to get rid of them?
Modern substances are productively fighting unnecessary inhabitants of the apartment.
Thus, such resources may well help with wood lice:
- Schabengel... Gel bait in a comfortable package that allows you to process even hard-to-reach places. Also suitable for the elimination of cockroaches, ants, and other insects. A package of 30 grams is enough for processing 3 rooms.
- Tarax... A good wood lice remedy, it can be used to control house insects. The packaging is sufficient to handle a 60 square meter room. The drug will form a poisonous film that poisons the crustacean, but does not destroy it instantly, but gives it a chance to infect fellow tribesmen. The product is harmless to both humans and animals.
- Monitor lizard... Multifunctional odorless dichlorvos. It functions both on flying insects and on crawling insects.
- Gett... Does not possess a powerful smell, is almost not dangerous for the inhabitants of the treated apartment. Also effective against cockroaches and bedbugs.
- Tetrix... Quite an expensive tool (250 milliliters costs about 2,000 rubles), however, since in the pure version the drug is in a very concentrated state, therefore 200 milliliters is enough to process an apartment of 3 rooms.
IMPORTANT: Using various chemicals from wood lice, you should carefully study the instructions, do not exceed the permitted dose.
Despite the fact that numerous manufacturers assure the absolute safety of the substance for people, it is more correct to send small children to their relatives for a couple of days. In addition, you must be prepared that after processing woodlice will rapidly crawl around the apartment.
Read more about the means of dealing with wood lice in the apartment here.
Who in nature eats these crustaceans?
However, no matter how lurks are hidden, they are an indispensable link in food chains.... And in front of a significant threat, they are not rescued by the chitinous shell, the ability to fold. They will become fairly easy prey for the following predators:
- Hedgehogs, rats, shrews.
- Birds of prey hunting in the dark.
- Reptiles, amphibians, including various types of lizards, frogs, snakes.
- Arachnids, especially a species that specializes directly in woodlice. And he has special devices that can get the "watermelon", including if it is twisted.
- Predatory Insects: Wasps, certain types of insects and beetles.
Small crustaceans are considered a favorite food for residents of artificial ecosystems, for example, terrariums. They are bred in the form of food for spiders, snakes, and also lizards. They are not that nutritious, but they can make changes in the diet of domestic predators. There are no problems with direct breeding of crustaceans, they are not capricious either to food or to the microclimate.
If wood lice start up at home, do not be alarmed, because they are safe... Nevertheless, it is quite possible to get rid of them. To do this, use special means or folk methods. The main rule for preventing the occurrence of woodlice is to keep the room perfectly clean and dry.