It is difficult to harvest a good potato crop if it grows in poor soil. Also, summer residents often face one problem - a lack of space for planting a culture.
In such cases, potatoes can be grown in bags, because even under the most unfavorable conditions, this method will help you get out of a difficult situation. Next, we will tell you in detail about this unusual method: what conditions, advantages and disadvantages are needed. And also, step by step instructions and tips.
What it is?
This is the most unusual way to grow potatoes. In our country, he appeared relatively recently, but in Europe they had already known about him for a long time. Abroad, owners of small plots prefer this method. Growing potatoes this way gives you the opportunity to get young potatoes near your summer home.
If you want to get a good harvest, you need to create favorable conditions for the potatoes. They should be as similar to natural as possible. But still, you should know that when growing potatoes in bags, the fruits will be more modest than if it was on the plantation.
Pros and cons of this method
- It is very convenient to grow in bags, since the plantation will take up little space and your physical costs will decrease significantly.
- No need to dig, weed, huddle.
- If you buy good soil and decontaminate it, potatoes will not be overcome by parasites and diseases.
- This method is quite costly, since you will have to buy a lot of things (bags, soil, fertilizers).
- Another disadvantage is frequent watering.
- Constant feeding is required.
- Sometimes ants can be found in the bags.
- Moisture and sun rays destroy the container.
The necessary conditions
- Conditions should be close to natural.
- The area where the bags of potatoes are located should be well clarified.
- Do not put bags under roof drains.
- Make free access to the garden bed.
- Make sure the bags are firmly on the ground.
You must have:
- How to choose a bag, how much do you need? The bags should be strong and roomy. Cloth and paper will not work - they quickly get wet and rot. It is best to take polypropylene wicker, breathable. Some growers even sew special bags with a valve. Such a valve is made at the bottom, for harvesting an early harvest. It is convenient because you can open it, get the largest tubers and close it back.
On a note. The number of bags depends on how much you are going to harvest and on the free area on which they will be placed.
- Tools. You will need a shovel to backfill and drain into the bag. A watering can works well for watering. You also need a bucket in which fertilizers will be mixed.
- Land, fertilizers. Based on the fact that the planting area is small, and the potatoes need to be well fed, the land should be fertile. In urban conditions, it is easiest to buy ready-made soil. If it is grown in a summer cottage, then you can collect land on the plantation and mix it with compost, in a 1: 1 ratio. It's a good idea to add a handful of wood ash.
It is better to use natural fertilizers. For instance:
- "Green manure:
- You need to collect juicy grass in a bucket or other container. Dandelion, tops, nettle, celandine will do.
- Pour all this with water and leave for 10-12 days, sometimes stirring.
- The solution will be ready when an offensive brown mass forms.
- For a 10 liter watering can, take 2 liters of solution, add water and water the potatoes.
- Ash feeding. But it cannot be poured together with organic fertilizers. Half a glass of ash per bag will be enough.
- Moderate potassium supplementation. They have a positive effect on the quality and quantity of the crop.
It is necessary to fertilize the soil only after watering.
How to grow potatoes in this way: technology step by step
- It is worth starting planting by creating a drainage layer, its thickness is at least 15 cm.Gravel or large crushed stone is well suited.
- The soil temperature should not exceed +6 degrees.
- A layer of soil 30-45 cm thick is poured on top of the drainage, while tamping it a little. Several tubers are placed on the ground. Then they again cover with soil, the layer thickness is no more than 20 cm.
Important! Make sure that the soil is not overly damp.
- After 9-13 days, sprouts will appear that will rise 10-15 cm above the soil. Then they are covered with leaves, until the height of the earth in the bag reaches 60 cm.
- After that, place the bags in a sunny place so that the sunrises are quick and the bags warm up well. You can place them along the walls of the house or along the perimeter of the site, where you will not plant anything.
- To prevent the bags from collapsing and falling, prop them up or dig in.
- Always remember about watering, because there should be enough moisture to fully feed the tubers.
- Monitor the soil carefully. It should be moist to the very bottom of the bag, but not soggy. Drizzle with sun-heated water.
- When sprouts appear, let them grow 15–20 cm, feed and cover half of their height with loose and fertile soil.
- After two weeks, you need to add fresh soil again.
- When bud buds appear, feed and cover with soil one last time. The maximum filling with earth by this time should not exceed 60 cm.
- The third top dressing is the last, it is done during flowering.
Comparison with planting in barrels and boxes
Potatoes are planted in barrels in diameter, and in boxes in a checkerboard pattern (about how to grow potatoes in boxes and boxes without a bottom, read here). For potatoes planted in barrels, oxygen is needed in sufficient quantity, but often it is not enough due to small holes. Also, you should understand that the hole in the barrel is much more difficult to make than in the bag. In addition, you need to knock out the bottom in the barrel. Therefore, it is easier and more convenient to grow potatoes in bags. The only advantage of drums is their stability as opposed to bags.
As for the boxes, it is more convenient to grow in them than in barrels. They are stable and easier to move. The sun's rays evenly pass into the soil, but this is also a minus, since the moisture will go away faster.
The method of growing in bags is very convenient because it requires much less effort.than if you were growing potatoes in the field. For vegetable growers who have a small plantation, this is the ideal solution to the problem of planting potatoes.