Red cabbage is one of the many representatives of the cabbage genus. It has bluish-purple leaves, sometimes with a purple tint, the specific color of which is already visible in the seedlings. Possesses good qualities: yield, useful properties, suitability for processing. In addition, it is not demanding to care for and gives an excellent harvest.
In taste, it is comparable to white cabbage, only tougher and with a slight edge. This article describes in detail what its benefits are and whether harm is possible. There are also recipes for dishes with this vegetable.
The chemical composition per 100 g of red cabbage is as follows:
- Caloric content 26 kcal.
- Proteins 0.8 g.
- Fat 0.6 g.
- Carbohydrates 5.1 g.
- 91% is water.
The chemical composition of cabbage is rich and diverse, which speaks of its health benefits. Cabbage contains such macronutrients as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, trace elements such as iron. Red cabbage is a source of vitamins A, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9, C, E, biotin, PP.
How is it good for health?
Useful properties of red cabbage for the body:
- Red cabbage will be useful for women and men who keep fit. It contains a lot of fiber, which provides fast food saturation. At the same time, there are few calories in cabbage.
- Fiber is the prevention of heart and vascular diseases, constipation, diabetes mellitus, obesity, and cancer. Fiber also helps to normalize the level of cholesterol in the blood, as they absorb it and promote the removal of cholesterol from the body.
- The purple color of cabbage leaves indicates the presence of anthocyanin pigments in its composition. Anthocyanins are a powerful antioxidant that helps prevent cardiovascular disease and cancer. Antioxidant directs its activity to reduce the activity of free radicals.
- Red cabbage contains recently discovered vitamin U, which promotes healing of lesions in the gastrointestinal tract, has antihistamine properties, normalizes fat metabolism, cerebral circulation, which is why red cabbage is useful.
- Vitamin A in red cabbage supports immunity and vision.
- There is more vitamin C in red cabbage than in white cabbage, and this is a strengthening of immunity, resistance to colds, infectious diseases, good healing of injuries on the body (what is the difference between red cabbage and white cabbage, read here).
- Due to vitamin K, cabbage works well in the prevention of dementia, Alzheimer's disease, and nervous diseases.
- Red cabbage is a good preventive measure for diseases such as osteoporosis and serves as a good helper in strengthening bone tissue. And all this due to the presence of calcium, magnesium and potassium in its composition.
- Cabbage has diuretic properties. Normalizes bowel function and stomach acidity.
One meal a day with red cabbage will help heavy smokers avoid respiratory problems. It helps cleanse the body of nicotine residues. But to avoid health problems, it is better not to smoke at all, but to chew cabbage leaves instead.
Cabbage is a safe food. Harm can only be caused in case of individual intolerance, with abuse in the amount eaten, with disregard of personal nutritional recommendations.
Prohibition and restriction
- It is not recommended to eat cabbage while breastfeeding, as this can provoke colic in the baby.
- Young children can be given mashed cabbage from 1 year old. Getting into the habit of fresh vegetables is easier in childhood.
- Excessive consumption of red cabbage can lead to flatulence, bloating and other unpleasant symptoms.
- The high level of vitamin K in cabbage helps to thicken the blood. If, according to the doctor's indications, it is necessary to take blood thinners, then the effectiveness in tandem with red cabbage will be reduced. But absolutely healthy people should not experiment with health by overeating red cabbage.
- Also, people with a lack of iodine in the body should control the amount of red cabbage in their diet. Cabbage can cause suppression of thyroid function.
- With an exacerbation of gastrointestinal diseases, cabbage is excluded from the diet.
What can be prepared from it?
Where is this vegetable used? Recipes with red cabbage differ little from recipes with white cabbage. It is mainly used for making salads, side dishes. Also pickled cabbage.
- 300 g cabbage;
- 300 g of mushrooms;
- 2 medium pickled cucumbers;
- 200 g sour cream;
- salt and sugar to taste;
Cook like this:
- To prepare the salad, you need to finely chop the cabbage, lightly salt, mix, rub hard with your hands until juice is formed.
- Then cut the boiled mushrooms into strips. These can be porcini mushrooms or champignons.
- Next, you need to chop pickled cucumbers and a fresh onion head.
- Mix all products, season with sour cream, salt, add sugar to taste, decorate with herbs.
Ingredients for 10 kg of shredded cabbage: 200 g of finely ground salt.
- 400 g of water;
- 20 g salt;
- 40 g sugar;
- 500 g vinegar.
Spices for 1 can:
- 5 black peppercorns;
- 5 peas of allspice;
- a piece of cinnamon;
- 3 carnations;
- 1 bay leaf.
This recipe will attract housewives because it is very easy to use.
The most suitable variety for pickling is Stone Head.
Read about the features of the varieties of red cabbage, as well as which one is the best, in our material.
- It is necessary to choose the densest, healthiest heads of cabbage for pickling, to clean them from the upper withered leaves, and carefully cut the stump.
- Then you can start shredding the cabbage.
- In an enamel bowl, grind the salt and cabbage thoroughly and leave for 2 hours.
- Then take well-washed jars, put spices on the bottom and tamp the cabbage tightly in them.
- After that, marinade filling is poured into the jars, and vegetable oil is poured on top.
- Store in a cool place: in a cellar or underground.
Red cabbage is a useful product due to its high content of vitamins, fiber, macro- and microelements. The recommended daily allowance by nutritionists is 200 g. Prepare side dishes and salads, and your body will reward you with good health.
Watch a video about the benefits of red cabbage: