Cabbage is a very popular vegetable in the middle lane. The head of cabbage contains valuable fiber, many vitamins and macronutrients. In addition, any dish with the addition of cabbage becomes not only healthier, but also tastier. That is why good housewives try to stock up on cabbage for the winter and as much as possible.
So, pickled cabbage is the simplest and most necessary preparation. In this article, we'll take a look at how to properly cook this vegetable on its own, as well as with beets and bell peppers, so that it becomes crispy, mouth-watering, mild in flavor and pleasantly sour.
Features of such a blank
Pickling cabbage is the best way to store this vegetable.... The fact is that when it is cooked, the amount of folic acid contained is almost halved. And pickling allows not only to preserve, but also to increase the vitamins contained inside, thanks to lactic acid fermentation.
The good taste of pickled cabbage directly depends on the correct brine with the necessary seasonings and spices.
Many generations of housewives have verified the proportions for perfect pickling - 200 g of salt per 10 kg of cabbage and 300 g of carrots. After pickling, this delicacy should be stored at 0 to 5 degrees in the refrigerator. Subject to the recipe and storage conditions, this food will delight you all winter and spring, until the next harvest.
What kind of vegetable to choose?
For pickling, it is best to choose white cabbage.... It is best if it is a medium late or late variety. It is easy to distinguish a late vegetable by a dense, "stuffed" head of cabbage.
The Slava variety is ideal for pickling. Choose the largest heads of cabbage, as any housewife will tell you that with one large cabbage there will be several times less waste than with two small ones.
Benefit and harm
I would like to say that a person receives exclusively benefits from such a dish as pickled cabbage, but this will not be true. The fact is that, like any other dish, this has not only advantages, but also some disadvantages.
- Benefit - cabbage is a unique vegetable that, when pickled, acquires more useful properties than raw. So, 300 grams of pickled cabbage contains the daily intake of vitamin C, which increases human immunity.
Another wonderful property is help in cleansing the body, a positive effect on the functioning of the stomach and liver. Doctors note that the lactic acid contained in the dish removes plaque on the joints and is able to overcome many dangerous bacteria contained in the human stomach.
- Harm - This product should be eaten with caution by people suffering from acute forms of gastritis.
It is necessary to limit the use of pickled cabbage for people with stomach and duodenal ulcers.
Read more about the benefits and dangers of pickled cabbage here.
Step-by-step instructions on how to marinate correctly
Choice of capacity
The best option is wooden tubs.... But in urban conditions this type of container is not available. Therefore, it is worth paying attention to enamelled tanks or buckets.
There should be no chips on the enamel. Plastic containers are also noteworthy, but connoisseurs of the dish claim that with such a salting, the vegetable loses its rich taste.
You can also choose glass containers - three- and five-liter jars, which are well suited for storage in the refrigerator. The only exception is aluminum containers. The fact is that lactic acid promotes the oxidation of aluminum, which leads to the metallic taste of the dish and the unappetizing gray color of the cabbage.
Selection of ingredients for a 3-liter container
A can with a volume of 3 liters will require:
- one large head of cabbage;
- two to three medium-sized carrots;
- litere of water;
- half a glass of sugar;
- 2 tablespoons of salt.
For a smaller dish, the proportions should be reduced according to the recipe. So, for a liter of pickled cabbage you need to take:
- a third of a head of cabbage;
- one carrot;
- two glasses of water;
- three tablespoons of sugar;
- an incomplete tablespoon of salt.
Preparing the marinade
- Classic marinade - for 1 liter of water we take a tablespoon of salt with a slide, three tablespoons of sugar and one incomplete tablespoon of 70% vinegar.
- Spicy marinade - add one small hot pepper and three cloves of garlic to the classic recipe.
- Sweet cabbage - add three tablespoons of sugar, a tablespoon of vinegar to a liter of water, but reduce the salt to two level teaspoons.
Cabbage with sweet pickles does not last long. Its shelf life does not exceed several weeks.
- Crispy cabbage - for a crunch, a little pharmacy oak bark or horseradish root should be added to the classic marinade recipe. A teaspoon per kilogram of the finished dish will be enough.
- Quick Cooking Cabbage - in a glass of water we take half a glass of vinegar, half a glass of sunflower oil, 100 g of sugar, 4 bay leaves and 8-10 black peppercorns.
Read more about making cabbage marinade in this article.
For a simple snack that everyone will love, try pickled cabbage. You can make pickled cabbage for the winter, then you will rejoice until spring. Or try the quick option if you feel like it quicker.
- Prescription without sterilization:
- the head of cabbage should be cleaned of the upper leaves and stubs;
- a brine is prepared in a separate bowl with the addition of 2% salt;
- the marinade is poured into a liter jar, in the amount of a glass;
- after that, a mixture of cabbage and carrots is compacted to the "shoulder" of the can;
- the jar is covered with a lid and placed in low-boiling water for heating for about 10 minutes.
- Without sterilization - in this case, only the marinade is heated, which is then poured into the cabbage put in a jar.
Cooling jars filled with hot brine is best sent under a blanket in a dark place. After cooling down, it is better to store the finished dish in the refrigerator.
- Salad - salting cabbage salad does not differ from other methods of pickling. It can be performed with or without sterilization.
Simple recipes with photos
We take 2 kg of cabbage:
- 300 g of beets;
- one carrot;
- 4-5 cloves of garlic.
For the brine, you will need:
- litere of water;
- half a glass of vegetable oil;
- 150 ml vinegar 9%;
- 2 tablespoons of salt;
- 6 tablespoons of sugar.
From the spices, you need to take 6 black peppercorns and 3 bay leaves. This recipe is called "Pelustka" and the dish should be placed in layers in a jar - we alternate pieces of cabbage with beets, carrots and garlic. Having tamped the mixture in a jar, pour it with brine.
Read about how to cook pickled cabbage with and without beets in Gurian style, and in this article we talked about Georgian pickling recipes.
We offer you to watch a video on how to cook pickled cabbage with beets:
With bell pepper
For this recipe you will need:
- large head of cabbage;
- 250 g carrots;
- 250 g bell pepper;
- 5-6 cloves of garlic.
The brine is prepared classic - vinegar, sugar, salt, sunflower oil and spices. It is best to take red pepper, it is the sweetest. You can cut the pepper as conveniently. but better in thin stripes.
We offer you to watch a video on how to cook pickled cabbage with bell pepper:
The easiest and fastest pickling recipe for the winter:
- garlic or onions;
- classic marinade.
The vegetable mixture is tamped tightly into a jar and filled with brine.
You can find more recipes for pickling cabbage with vinegar and garlic here.
It is best to store pickled cabbage in the refrigerator.... The ideal temperature for storing marinades is 0 to 5 degrees Celsius. If the volume allows, then you can store cabbage directly in jars.
Pickled cabbage perfectly tolerates freezing, preserving all the beneficial elements it contains.
So you can safely pack the pickled dish in plastic bags and load it into the freezer. Before eating cabbage, you just need to defrost the package.... By the way, this storage method extends its life by several months.
It should be noted that in addition to the excellent independent taste of this dish, pickled cabbage goes well with other products. It can be used as a side dish or as an additional ingredient in cooking.
Among the options for serving dishes with pickled cabbage, several are worth highlighting:
- Solyanka - delicious and very hearty soup for the cold season.
- Cabbage soup - the traditional use of pickled cabbage.
- Stewed cabbage with potatoes Is another delicious Russian dish.
- Duck stuffed with cabbage - a festive dish with an excellent flavor combination of all ingredients.
- The vinaigrette - an excellent and healthy salad, perfect for winter when there is an acute lack of vitamins.
So, from our article, you learned how to choose, cook and store pickled cabbage. As you can see, it is an indispensable dish for long and cold winters. The daily menu with the addition of cabbage becomes incredibly varied and healthy.
It is one of the few foods that is suitable for almost anyone and can be eaten even during a fast. People on a diet should also pay attention to the beneficial properties of this dish. Cabbage requires more calories to digest than it contains.