A completely universal dish - mashed cauliflower - can get a permanent residence on your everyday and even festive table, if you master all the secrets of its preparation and the skills of working with the main ingredient, which is indispensable in the diet of those who look after their health.
Is it tasty or not? Certainly! You will be convinced of this by reading our recipes and preparing a dish according to them! We will also reveal several secrets of the correct preparation of this delicate vegetable.
A treasure trove of vitamins and minerals
Adherents of proper nutrition will be interested to know that cauliflower contains a huge amount of nutrients. It is rich in vitamins E, C, A, PP, group B. The vegetable is a source of calcium, magnesium and sodium. In addition to these minerals, it contains folic acid, omega-3 acids, antioxidants and choline, which regulate metabolism and cholesterol levels.
Reference. With regular consumption of mashed cauliflower in a person, blood pressure and the work of the excretory system normalize, general immunity and resistance to chronic diseases increase. Also, cauliflower in the diet will serve as a good prevention of oncology.
Pregnant women and lactating mothers can eat cauliflower puree without risk of harm to the baby. For infants, this dish is a great start to complementary foods.
Cauliflower is one of the most common ingredients in various diets. In 100 g of mashed potatoes from this vegetable, on average, 33 kcal (the energy value of the dish may vary) with an almost ideal balance of nutrients. For the same calculated 100 g of puree, 1.57 g of proteins, 0.71 g of fat and 5.4 g of carbohydrates are accounted for.
For the health of most people, all of the above properties will bring undoubted benefits. HOWEVER, there are exceptions. Doctors advise people who suffer from:
- kidney disease;
- acute gastrointestinal inflammation;
- chronic high acidity;
- people with individual vegetable intolerance.
Regardless of in what quantities and with what regularity you will eat cabbage puree, it is necessary to cook it, adhering to a number of simple, but very important recommendations.
How to quickly and deliciously prepare a dish? You will need:
- 600-800 ml of water (for cooking cabbage);
- 1 head of cauliflower (about 500-600 gr);
- salt and spices to taste.
One to two tablespoons of sunflower oil or corn oil can be added to the puree when chopping, if you don't use other fats in the dish.
Recommendation. To get a tasty and healthy puree, you need to choose a quality vegetable. The cabbage head should be light, without spots and damage, with dense inflorescences and uniformly green leaves, not spoiled by the disease.
It is better to refuse frozen cauliflower for mashed potatoes., since there will be practically no vitamins and microelements in it.
When all the ingredients are available, you can begin the process of processing and preparing them.
- We prepare the main ingredient. Before you start cooking cabbage, disassemble it into inflorescences and rinse them thoroughly under running water from small inclusions of dirt.
Then dip the cabbage in salt water for a few minutes to get rid of insects that may be in the inflorescences.
- Cooking cabbage. Next, the cauliflower inflorescences must be boiled in salted or mineral water. You can add a little sugar to keep them from darkening.
The liquid during cooking should cover the vegetables. It is convenient to check the readiness of the cabbage with a match, skewer or fork. As a rule, it is ready for puréing 10-15 minutes after boiling.
- Grind the inflorescences. When the inflorescences are soft, remove them from the water with a slotted spoon. Do not rush to pour out the vegetable broth. You will add it to the cabbage gruel when chopping the inflorescences. This can be done in a food processor, with a blender, or through a sieve.
Gradually adding the water in which the cabbage was boiled, beat until smooth. If using vegetable oil in the recipe, add it when puréing as well. In consistency, the finished mashed potatoes should resemble potato, but be more airy and light.
- We bring the dish to taste. Add salt and spices to the finished dish to taste. Dried paprika, black ground pepper, curry, thyme are perfectly combined with cauliflower.
Even tastier and healthier with additives
Note! Cauliflower can also be combined with other vegetables. Such mashed potatoes will turn out to be more satisfying and original in taste than one-component puree.
- You can use mashed cauliflower and potatoes as a side dish or as an independent dish. The recipe for its preparation is identical to the one given above (you can learn more about the various recipes for making cauliflower here). You can cook vegetables taken in a 1: 1 ratio either separately or together.
Small potatoes are cooked whole, large ones are cut into pieces the size of a cabbage inflorescence. After puréeing, you can add nutmeg to the ingredients, which very successfully sets off this vegetable combination.
- A lighter version of the two-part vegetable puree can be made with cauliflower and courgette. When preparing it, it is recommended not to boil vegetables, but to stew them. Zucchini are placed in a saucepan, previously peeled and seeds. In appearance, the finished dish should resemble mousse.
If you plan to feed a child with it, then before serving, you can add grated boiled egg yolk to the dish, which will improve the taste and nutritional qualities of the product.
- A combination of cauliflower and celery root is considered a classic for vegetable puree, especially for a side dish for fish dishes. Culinary experts advise not to cook celery with cabbage, but cook it in a double boiler, peeling it off and cutting it into small cubes.
After you have chopped the ingredients in a blender, add a little lemon juice to the dish. It will set off the sweetness of celery and the nutty hint of cabbage.
- To all the described types of cabbage puree, you can add butter or milk to taste. This can be done both during puréing and after chopping.
Butter, thanks to the combination of fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins A, E and K2, will improve the absorption of cauliflower nutrients. For one medium fork of cabbage (about 500-600 grams), 3-4 tablespoons of oil will be required.
The addition of milk to the cabbage puree makes it puffy. Ideally, if you take a glass of milk for a pound of vegetables.
- Fans of spicy tastes can add garlic to the puree at the rate of 2-3 cloves per 1 kg of cabbage. Garlic can be sent to a blender either fresh or baked.
When baking, grease the slices with vegetable oil and salt, without peeling them off. Leave the garlic in the oven until it is tender.
The harmonious taste of cabbage puree will emphasize its original presentation. Vegetable puree can be presented on lettuce leaves. Your guests will be delighted with mashed potatoes squeezed out of a pastry bag with a curly nozzle. If you put mashed potatoes on the table in a large dish, you can decorate it with pomegranate seeds and herbs or draw a pattern on it with ketchup.
In total, the preparatory stage, preparation and serving of cauliflower puree will take you from 40 minutes to an hour. Take this time to please yourself and your loved ones with a real vitamin cocktail - hearty and tasty, but at the same time, dietary and healthy.