There are many ways to marinate cabbage. The simplest and fastest is the method in which the cabbage is directly placed in a jar and poured with marinade.
With this method, the cabbage is juicy, crispy and delicious. The benefits of pickled cabbage are much more than sauerkraut. Pickled cabbage is perfect both for an appetizer and for adding to salad and vinaigrette.
Today we will share the best recipes for pickling cabbage. You can also watch a helpful video on the topic.
Choosing a head of cabbage
Any variety of cabbage is suitable for pickling - both white and red... It all depends on the individual taste preferences of the person. Do not use loose or rotten leaves for pickling. Such cabbage can deteriorate during storage. It is not recommended to eat it.
The benefits and harms of the dish
Pickled cabbage is a treasure trove of vitamins that are essential for health. In addition, this product has a very low calorie content. The number of calories per 100 grams is less than 50. The benefits and advantages of pickled cabbage are as follows:
- the vegetable contains useful substances and minerals: potassium, manganese, zinc, as well as organic acids;
- cabbage has a high concentration of vitamins C and U;
- the dish is easy to prepare;
- low cost of ingredients;
- cabbage goes well with many dishes of our table.
Of the minuses of the dish, the content of vinegar and sugar in the marinade can be noted.... However, if consumed in moderation, it will not harm the body in any way.
How to pickle in brine - step by step instructions
For cooking you will need:
- white or red cabbage - 2.5-3 kg;
- carrots - 2-3 pieces of medium size;
- garlic -1 head;
- water -1 liter;
- sugar - 1 glass;
- vinegar 9% - 1/2 cup;
- vegetable oil - 1 glass;
- salt - 2 tbsp. l.
- First, the cabbage and carrots need to be washed well, peeled and chopped into thin strips.
- Peel and cut the garlic into thin slices. If desired, carrots can be grated on a coarse grater.
IMPORTANT: Vegetables must be cut so that the wedges are approximately the same size. This is necessary to distribute the salt evenly.
- Put cabbage, carrots, garlic in a deep bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Then take 3-liter jars, rinse well with a solution of water and baking soda, rinse thoroughly.
- Fold the vegetables tightly into clean jars and make the marinade. To make the pickled cabbage crisp, do not grind the food and crush it with your hands.
- To prepare the marinade, you need to take an enamel pan, pour water, add salt, vegetable oil. Put on fire and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add vinegar.
- Pour the resulting brine into jars of cabbage so that the liquid completely covers the vegetables.
- Leave the jars in a warm room for 12 hours.
- After this time, they can be removed to the cellar or refrigerator.
Watch a video of cooking quick pickled cabbage with butter in brine:
Other pickling methods
For those who like to experiment, you can add various spices and herbs to this recipe, then the taste of pickled cabbage will be more intense. There are a few more favorite options for making quick cabbage..
If you add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil per 3 liters to jars with ready-made pickled cabbage, the taste will become more delicate and less sour. This recipe is suitable for those who have problems with the digestive tract.
To obtain crispier cabbage, before pickling, shredded cabbage should be soaked in ice water.
Red cabbage is often pickled in pieces or layers... For this option, the vegetable is cut so that each piece is square.
To obtain pink cabbage, add one beet to the main vegetables, also cutting it into strips or grating it.
TIP: Add cloves, black pepper and bay leaves to this recipe.
Watch a video on cooking pickled cabbage with beets:
For serving, cabbage is laid out from a jar into a salad bowl or deep plate, greased with oil and decorated with herbs. If desired, finely chopped onions can be added to pickled cabbage.
Pickled cabbage is an indispensable food that can be eaten on its own or as an ingredient in other dishes. Pickled cabbage can be stored both in the cellar and in the refrigerator. It is an excellent option for winter harvesting.
Pickled cabbage goes well with potatoes, fish, meat... The quick cooking secret allows you to taste the preparation in 2-3 hours. But it becomes especially tasty after 3-4 days in a cool room.