From time immemorial, cabbage was considered the most useful plant on the table, therefore it was they who received the most attention during planting and care.
Nowadays, cabbage grows in all vegetable gardens of the country, and the abundance of all kinds of varieties is simply amazing. One of the varieties of cabbage that is gaining popularity in our time is the "Sugarloaf" variety.
Learn about its taste, varietal characteristics, advantages and disadvantages. In this article, we will acquaint you with the intricacies of growing this most useful vegetable, talk about pest control, collection and long-term storage.
Description of the variety with a photo of the plant
This type of plant belongs to the family of Cruciferous, late-ripening varieties. The fruit of a mature plant is 80 cm in diameter and 40 cm in length. The ripening time from planting to harvest is 170-190 days, while the weight of one head of cabbage is about 5 kilograms.
The leaves are light green, round, juicy and soft. Due to this property, cabbage can be eaten raw.
The sugar content in the presented vegetable is much higher than in other varieties.... For this quality, the plant got its name. The inside of the flesh is very dense. The size of the stump reaches 8 centimeters.
History of origin
For the first time, this variety of cabbage was obtained on the islands and coasts of the Mediterranean Sea. The cultivar was developed in 2008 and was developed by specialists from a large selective company - Sedek.
The variety of bred cabbage is suitable for mass, commercial production and for single cultivation in your own garden or on a personal plot.
Difference from other species
Cabbage variety "Sugarloaf" has a number of differences from other types:
- high content of vitamins;
- effectiveness in cosmetic procedures, cabbage leaves are added to the composition of various face masks;
- accelerates tissue healing;
- stimulates the function of the thyroid gland;
- removes toxins and toxins from the body;
- used in the prevention of various diseases;
- infusions from the "Sugarloaf" cabbage variety are used as mouthwash;
- contains almost all trace elements of the periodic table: phosphorus, iodine, sodium, potassium, calcium, iron;
- the composition contains such useful substances as thiamine, riboflavin, folic and ascorbic acid;
- low calorie content;
- the presented variety of cabbage can be stored for 9 months.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of the "Sugarloaf" cabbage variety include the following:
- taste qualities;
- can be consumed raw;
- large sizes;
- great for fermentation;
- cabbage is resistant to temperature changes and pressure in the environment.
"Sugarloaf" is suitable for both salting and fermentation... This is undoubtedly another advantage of the vegetable. Thanks to this, cabbage can be harvested for the winter and get a huge amount of vitamins from it during the cold season.
It has one drawback: at any stage of ripening, the head of cabbage can crack.
Step by step instructions for care and planting
With proper planting and care of the Sugarloaf cabbage variety, gardeners are guaranteed a high yield level.
To do this, you need to follow a number of rules:
- The soil must be prepared. Namely, it is warmed up to a temperature of 15-17 degrees.
- Seed preparation. To do this, soak large cabbage seeds in a solution of potassium humate for 15 days, then rinse and dry thoroughly. After that, the seeds need to be heat treated to get rid of the pests.
- Before sowing seeds, the soil should be fertilized with manure, humus and nutrients.
- After sowing the seeds and the appearance of 3-5 leaves on the seedlings, it's time to transplant the seedlings into open soil.
- The landing site should be sunny and warm constantly. You cannot plant a plant every year in the same place.
- The transplant should be done at the end of May. If you do not have time, you can also at the beginning of June, but not later.
- During the growth of cabbage, you need to periodically fertilize the soil with manure.
- It is necessary to spill the plant regularly, especially after watering and if it has rained.
- It is necessary to water the cabbage several times a month (2-3).
- You should constantly loosen the ground.
- 5 weeks before harvesting, stop watering completely and preferably cover with transparent material to prevent rain.
Cabbage seeds can be purchased in shops and markets in Moscow. The average price for one package of seeds is 20 rubles. Can be ordered through the official website on the Internet. But this type of purchase will cost a little more, since shipping will be taken into account.
It is worth picking cabbage when it is fully ripe.... It is easy to check this, it is enough to touch the head of cabbage, if it is dense, then it is ready to be harvested. Harvesting cabbage usually begins in early November, by which time the plant has completely collected the nutritious juice and is full of vitamins.
In order to properly collect cabbage, you need the weather to be dry and sunny, you need to keep within one day.
If you can see that the cabbage is slightly frozen, it is worth leaving it until warming, so that it moves away from frost. For greater safety, it is advisable to store the culture together with the root crop.
Heads of cabbage have excellent keeping characteristics. Store this type of cabbage in a basement, in a dry place. The box where the plant will be placed should contain straw. When stored properly, cabbage will be in excellent condition for 9 months..
Other cabbage varieties suitable for fresh winter storage are described here.
Diseases and pests
The worst pests include:
- Spring cabbage fly.
- Common scoop.
- Typical nutcracker.
All of them are the first enemies of cabbage. They cause colossal damage to the plant. They eat the leaves, the females lay eggs inside the cabbage, the larvae feed on the roots of the culture.
To prevent the occurrence of diseases and pests on cabbage, methods of control and prevention must be present:
- Spraying cabbage with burdock tincture.
- Water with broth of tansy 2 times a week in the evenings.
- Weed the beds more often.
- Try to catch pests yourself.
- In the autumn, hilling the soil.
- Make root top dressing inside.
When caring for cabbage, be sure to remember that it does not tolerate strong soil moisture. therefore you need to carefully monitor that water does not stagnate in the soil.
The plant should not be allowed to be exposed to prolonged exposure to high temperatures, since it is a cold-resistant plant, more often hide it in the shade, this can be done by covering it with a large leaf of burdock.
Seedlings should spend more time under sunlight, as they like heat more, they need to be grown at a temperature of 7-8 degrees. When transplanting into soil, the distance between crops should be 30-40 centimeters. The transplant itself, best of all, should occur in cloudy weather. It is not necessary to water the plant right away, it is best to do this every other day.
Watch out for pests... At the first appearance of them on culture, it is best to collect them in a jar by hand. It is desirable that eggplants grow in the place where the cabbage will grow. They will leave behind fertile soil.
Among all cabbage varieties, the most revered is the sugarloaf variety. The housewives really like this variety; they add it raw to salads. Cabbage holds useful properties longer than other varieties. It is also famous for its storage. It is very important to properly care for her and know all the details of the planting. This knowledge will help the plant accumulate more useful vitamins and delight the table with its taste.