Cabbage has long been a traditional vegetable in the culinary culture of the Russian people. In every house, in the village and in the city, cabbage rolls and sauerkraut are always on the festive table.
Therefore, breeders are struggling to develop new varieties of cabbage. And relatively recently, their next development was the "Aggressor" cabbage variety.
The features of this variety, the rules for its cultivation and care for it will be discussed today in our article.
We also recommend watching a useful video on this topic.
Description of the variety
Cabbage "Aggressor" belongs to the middle late ripening varieties... Before the first crop appears, it takes about 120 days from the moment of sowing in the ground.
Variety characteristic: leaves are compact, medium-sized, concave in the middle, color - gray-green. The edges of the leaves are wavy with a wax coating. The rosette of the plant is lifted up from the ground.
The head of the cabbage has a round, slightly flattened shape... A stump of medium length. The weight of the cut heads is relatively small - from 2 to 5 kilograms. The color of the head in the section has a light yellow tint. Leaves inside the head are thin and medium.
From one hundred square meters of land, you can get about one ton of crops.
Watch a video about the features of Aggressor cabbage:
History of origin
Cabbage variety "Aggressor" refers to hybrid varieties and was bred in 2003 by Dutch breeders (you can learn more about Dutch cabbage varieties here). But, despite the fact that 15 years have passed, the variety is still in great demand among gardeners and farmers.
Attention: Now this variety is included in the state register of the Russian Federation. Recommended for planting in central Russia.
What is the difference from other species?
The following distinguishing features of the Aggressor cabbage variety are distinguished in comparison with other types of vegetables:
- high strength of growth;
- powerful root system;
- all heads of cabbage are approximately the same size;
- amicable maturation;
- the outer stump does not exceed 20 cm in size.
The variety is marketable... It is used for:
- preparing fresh salads and traditional dishes;
- salting, fermentation and conservation.
Advantages and disadvantages
Among the advantages of the plant are the following:
- characterized by high resistance to most cruciferous diseases and pests;
- the variety is unpretentious to the soil and gives a good harvest even on soils with a low humus content;
- characterized by high germination rate, which is up to 99%;
- the plant is suitable for transportation over long distances;
- keeps well throughout the winter;
- tolerates high temperatures in southern regions and spring frosts well.
Compared to other varieties cabbage "Aggressor" has a stable yield of up to 800 centners per hectare... Marketable yield at the level of 430 centners to 670 centners.
During the growing season, the heads do not crack, which provides the variety with a high yield of marketable products. It is 92 - 95%. All this, combined with high palatability, makes this variety a leader. Most gardeners and farmers give their preference to this particular plant.
Regarding the shortcomings, the following features can be distinguished here:
- sometimes the variety is affected by the keel;
- may have a slightly bitter taste and a tough inner leaf structure.
Step by step instructions for care and planting
In order to grow a quality plant and boast of a high yield of the Aggressor cabbage variety, you need to follow these rules:
- Boarding time... The best time for planting seedlings will be the first half of April. For planting in open ground, it is better to wait until the end of April and early May.
- Choosing a landing site... It is better to choose an area where tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers grew, and even better to plant cabbage next to potatoes. It has a beneficial effect on the growth of this plant. Areas where cruciferous plants were recently planted are excluded. It is impossible to plant cabbage after radish, radish, turnip and turnip for 3 years.
- What should be the soil? Cabbage Aggressor belongs to the seedling method of growing, and you can also sow f1 seeds directly into the ground. For planting in pots, a mixture of soil is made in the ratio of peat, turf, sand 2: 4: 1.
- Landing... If the seedling method of planting cabbage was chosen, then the seedlings must be hardened before planting. This can be done by exposing the seedlings to the balcony or by placing them in a slightly heated greenhouse. It is imperative to bring seedlings at night, otherwise they may die.
- F1 seeds are sown in pots to a depth of 1.5 cm, sprinkled with earth and watered. The pots are placed on a well-lit windowsill.
- After 30-40 days, seedlings can be planted in open ground. It is better to make the distance between the rows no more than 70 cm, and between the plants up to 60 cm. Wells are made and filled with water, when the water is completely absorbed, the seedlings are carefully removed from the pot and planted in the ground.
- After planting, the land is mulched.
Advice: If it was decided to sow seeds directly into the ground, then you can do this by sowing seeds in holes or rows, with further transplanting the seedlings to the main place. You can sow seeds at once according to the 60 * 70 scheme in rows of two seeds in each hole.
Be sure to take into account the fact of night frosts. Seedlings at night will need to be covered and it will be more convenient to do this if they are planted in holes or rows with dense seeding, but this will cause difficulties in terms of further transplanting to a permanent place.
- Temperature... The permissible air temperature at which plants will develop ranges from 5 to 10 degrees above zero. The optimum temperature for growth is 15-20 degrees.
- Watering... Cabbage loves moisture. On hot sunny days, it is enough to water it once every 3 days, and on cloudy days once a week. One square meter will take about 1 bucket of water.
- Top dressing... Fertilizer is best applied before digging a site or when planting in holes. Before digging, you can use humus in the holes, but it is better to add 1 teaspoon of nitrophoska, since humus can burn the roots of the plant.
- Hilling and loosening... From time to time, you need to loosen the ground around the plants and huddle them before forming the heads. Weed control is also an important point. Here, the classic method of control is already suitable, by weeding or using herbicides.
- Harvesting... Cabbage "Aggressor" refers to the late ripening period, its collection should be started at the onset of stable cold weather. The later you cut it, the longer it will be stored. The optimum daytime temperature should be no more than 10 degrees, and the nighttime temperature should be close to zero. 1-2 degrees of frost are not terrible for cabbage, but it is better not to let the temperature drop to 2-3 degrees of frost.
You also need to take into account the fact that the soil is not saturated with moisture before cutting. Such cabbage will rot and store poorly. Cut cabbage must be sorted out, spoiled, cracked.
It is better to store cabbage in rooms where the air temperature does not exceed 2 degrees. The room should be dark and well ventilated. Indoor humidity not less than 90%.
In addition, the product heads must be kept in a cool place for several weeks, after which they must be sorted out again and placed in a permanent place for winter storage. Cracked and non-marketable cabbage can be used for pickling and pickling.
Diseases and pests
The variety is resistant to many diseases and pests, but if the plants are damaged by insects, then they urgently need to be treated with special preparations. Most often cabbage of the "Aggressor" variety is affected by the keel - these are fungal growths on the roots. If this disease was noticed on plants, then it is better to pull out and destroy all specimens, after which it should be treated with a systemic fungicide. For other diseases, the measures are the same.
Important: It is better to spray with a sticking sprayer, otherwise the solution will run off the plants.
Prevention of various problems
To prevent insect damage, you can sprinkle the seedlings with ash and tobacco after germination.... For the prevention of diseases, it is better to process the seeds before planting with a solution of potassium permanganate. Before planting in open ground, the roots of the seedlings can be immersed in a mash made of clay and mullein.
Despite the fact that Dutch cabbage is unpretentious in care and has a good immunity to diseases and pests, for its successful cultivation it is necessary to create the conditions necessary for growth, to provide proper and timely care. We talked about the rules of cultivation, the advantages and disadvantages of varieties Rinda F1, Atria F1, Megaton F1, Gloria F1 and Parel F1 in separate articles.
It is required to carry out preventive fungicide treatments during the growing season according to the schedule. Subject to all the rules, the "Aggressor" variety cabbage will delight you with a large amount of harvest.