Cabbage is an agricultural plant grown in most summer cottages. The vegetable ranks second in terms of human consumption after potatoes. The plant is unpretentious and adapts to any soil, with the exception of the desert and the Far North. Cabbage has medicinal properties and contains a considerable amount of fiber, fats, vitamins, trace elements that enrich the human immune system with iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium and folic acid.
By consuming 200 grams of cabbage daily, you can avoid vitamin C deficiency, prevent colds and get the daily intake of fiber that stimulates digestion. Other useful substances in cabbage are phosphorus, calcium, potassium, chlorine, phosphorus and sulfur, as well as phytoncides and vitamins, among which vitamin U deserves special attention, which cannot be synthesized in the body on its own.
Useful substances and medicinal properties
Cabbage contains organic acids, vitamins, minerals and trace elements. Together, they provide the body with a high level of the immune system, and accelerate metabolic processes.
Cabbage is a storehouse of vitamin and mineral complexes, per 100 grams of white cabbage representative of the cruciferous family, there are:
- from 0.5 to 0.9% of fiber pigments;
- up to 1.8% protein;
- from 11-52.7 mg - vitamin C;
- 0.04 mg carotene;
- a complex of vitamins B1 and B2, B3, B4, B6, B7;
- 7 minerals in mg equivalent: potassium - 230; Ca - 70; sodium / magnesium - 16.18; P / Fe - 31 / 1.2.
Cabbage juice is recommended to drink for people with gastrointestinal diseases, its expectorant properties make it possible to quickly cure coughs and colds. Cabbage prevents fatty degeneration of the liver and normalizes metabolism.
The chemical composition of the remaining varieties is summarized in the tables below.
The main chemical composition as a percentage.
|Type of cabbage||% per 100 g wet weight Starch; cellulose; crude protein|
|Redhead||0.5; up to 0.9; up to 2|
|Savoy||0.1; up to 1; up to 2.2|
|Brussels||0.5; up to 1.7; up to 5.5|
|Decorative||0.5; up to 1.8; up to 3.6|
|Color||0.5; up to 1.1; up to 2.5|
|Kohlrabi||0.5; up to 1.6; up to 2.8|
Mineral elements in 100 grams of 7 types of cabbage.
|Name of the type of cabbage||Mg of minerals per 100 g Sodium; K; calcium; magnesium; P / Fe|
|Redhead||4; 302; 53; 16; 32/0.6|
|Savoy||8; 305; 150; 0; 60/2|
|Brussels||7; 500; 40; 40; 110/1.3|
|Decorative||14; 350; 200; 35; 60/3.4|
|Color||10; 210; 60; 17; 51/1.4|
|Kohlrabi||20; 370; 52; 30; 50/1.5|
Vitamin composition of each type of cabbage in 100 grams.
|Name||Mg of vitamins per 100 g C; AND; B1; B2; B6; PP|
|Redhead||99.1; up to 0.2; 0.05; 0.05; 0.23; 0.40|
|Savoy||60.7; up to 0.4; 0; 0; 0.14; 0|
|Brussels||Up to 207.7; up to 0.5; 0.13; 0.15; 0.28; 0.70|
|Decorative||150; 5; 0.18; 0.01; 0; 0|
|Color||Up to 93; up to 0.2; 0.10; 0.08; 0.16; 0.60|
|Kohlrabi||67; up to 0.06; 0.08; 0.10; 0; 0.90|
Each component plays a huge role in the functionality of the body:
- Cellulose performs the function of cleansing the body of toxins and microelements clogging blood vessels.
- Vitamin C - controls the oxidative processes of the gastrointestinal tract and strengthens bone tissue, blood vessels.
- Vitamin component of group A is able to normalize the work of metabolic and biological processes (formation, structure of teeth and accumulation of fats).
- Vitamin B group - increase the growth of nails and hair; activate the brain and good mood, minimize the level of fat in the blood to normal.
- Mineral components: Na; K; Ca; Mg; Fe / PP - regenerate the gastrointestinal tract damaged by an ulcer and strengthen the central nervous system, form a protein.
We offer you to watch a video about the benefits of cabbage for the human body:
Which is better, fresh or cooked?
Cabbage is a versatile vegetable; it is used for preparing first and second courses, cold snacks and flour products. But, despite its versatility, each method of cooking in a different way retains the level of usefulness of the components of cabbage.
Vitamins and mineral complexes in cabbage can be preserved 100% if the vegetable is not subjected to strong heat treatment. Fresh and sauerkraut retain all the beneficial properties of the vegetable, have a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal tract of patients suffering from dysbacteriosis and miasmatic processes, and its use in fresh or sour form helps to restore the functions of the liver and heart.
And here cooking cabbage by boiling or stewing does not preserve one hundred percent efficiency, due to its processing at high temperatures. But it is these cooking methods that allow the vegetable to be better absorbed in the human body without irritating the digestive system.
Cooked cabbage is recommended for use by people who regularly experience disturbance of intestinal motility.
The benefits of its various types for human health
The variety of representatives of the cruciferous family allows you to take care of the health of an adult and children. Below is a short selection of the types of cabbage that are suitable for different age categories of people.
What does a child's body need for?
An irreplaceable product in the diet of children is cauliflower or broccoli.... These varieties of the cruciferous family do not cause allergic reactions, are easily absorbed by the child's body and are recommended for use from early childhood (complementary feeding period). The benefits of vegetables are that they contain:
- vitamins (C, B1, B2, PP, E, A);
- mineral components (Mg, K, Ca, Fe).
Read more about the age at which you can give cabbage to children here.
What is useful for women / girls
White cabbage is a common product of the daily diet. But the use of a vegetable is not limited to the framework of cooking (you can read about cabbage recipes here), girls and women have found use for it in the field of cosmetology and dietetics.
The benefits of white cabbage for women are:
- improving metabolism, due to which weight loss is possible;
- the antioxidant activity of the vegetable, which minimizes the risks of the appearance of malignant tumors;
- the ability to influence the reproductive function of the body;
- increased skin tone;
- strengthening the immune protective barrier;
- removing excess water from the body, which reduces weight and relieves puffiness.
There is another type of cabbage that is useful for the female body - broccoli.
The beneficial substances of broccoli are capable of:
- block the development of breast cancer;
- rejuvenate the body from the inside;
- contribute to the prevention of joint diseases.
By eating broccoli up to 4 times a week, a woman will restore the natural shine of the skin and an even complexion in the shortest possible time.
Rumor has it that breasts grow from cabbage. You will learn about whether this is true from this article.
How does it affect men?
Cabbage for men is not only a snack, but also a means of correcting one's own health, bypassing drug treatment. By eating a fermented cruciferous product, a man strengthens the central nervous system and blood vessels of the heart. Moreover, regular intake of sauerkraut will allow a man to maintain male strength for many years.
Red cabbage, Peking cabbage and Brussels sprouts affect the male body in this way:
- prevent infertility;
- enhance the work of the brain;
- block the development of malignant tumors;
- reduce weight.
Broccoli and cauliflower have become favorites in men's health research. It has been proven in practice that eating these types of cabbage minimizes the risks of developing prostate diseases in men and increases endurance during intercourse, and has a strengthening effect on the body.
Eating a wide variety of parts of the plant:
Cabbage is a nutrient-rich vegetable. All parts of the fruit are marked edible (leaves, head of cabbage, stumps and even its juice). Eating every part of the cabbage in any form is good for your health.
Actually, it is the head of cabbage that is eaten. If we talk about white and red cabbage, then their early varieties have the most delicate leaves, are poorly stored, but they are very tasty fresh. Cabbage with an average ripening period lends itself well to processing, it is successfully used for cooking. Well, late varieties are ideal for long-term storage and salting.
It should be noted that with proper storage, cabbage heads do not lose their taste and useful properties until mid-winter and longer.
In other types of cabbage, the heads of cabbage may look different, but the essence does not change.
Cabbage stump is a delicacy of early childhood. But there is debate about its usefulness. On the one hand, it is a storehouse of fruit nutrients. On the other hand, harmful substances, nitrates, fertilizers and so on can accumulate in it. Knowledgeable people assure that it is very easy to recognize harmful cabbage by cutting a stump. It will not be pure white, but with dark or pinkish spots.
The stump is often used in folk medicine to prepare a decoction, the purpose of which is to fight cancer cells. To prepare a folk medicine you will need:
- finely chopped stump;
- sunflower oil;
- leaves of the tartar;
- boiling water.
The broth from the stalk must be wrapped and allowed to infuse for more than 2 hours, after which the liquid should be filtered and taken.
The health benefits of cabbage leaves can be seen in practice, such as applying compresses to a sore spot. The scheme of actions is as follows:
- apply a fresh cabbage leaf to the sore spot;
- biologically active components of cabbage penetrate into tissues;
- reaching it, relieve pain and inflammation.
Compresses can be applied:
- with headaches in the occipital and frontal part;
- on the cheeks for diseases of the oral cavity and external edema;
- on the front of the neck for respiratory diseases: laryngitis, tonsillitis, inflammation of the lymph nodes;
- on the back of the neck in the complex treatment of cervical neuritis;
- on the chest in diseases of the cardiovascular system, lungs, bronchi;
- on the abdominal cavity and pelvic area in diseases: prostatitis, cystitis, ovaries, liver, pancreas.
It is easy to determine the effectiveness of treatment with compresses, as soon as the LHC gets to the place of inflammation and pain, the cabbage acquires a specific smell.
Benefits of taking freshly squeezed cabbage juice by mouth:
- helps the immune system to resist diseases;
- prevents premature aging of cells;
- improves blood clotting;
- forms bone tissue;
- promotes the rapid treatment of respiratory diseases;
- stabilizes kidney function.
We suggest watching a video about the benefits of cabbage juice:
White cabbage is forbidden to be eaten by people:
- with an increased level of acidity of the gastric tract;
- patients diagnosed with colitis and enteritis;
- children under 2 years of age.
Kohlrabi is not recommended for people who have:
- stones in the kidneys;
- disorders of the thyroid gland.
Red cabbage should be eaten with caution:
- people prone to allergic reactions;
- have a predisposition to bloating and stomach upset;
- pregnant women with individual intolerance (for more information about whether it is possible to eat cabbage during pregnancy, read here).
Brussels sprouts are a gourmet's choice. It has a huge range of useful properties, however, despite this, it is contraindicated to use it in the diet for people inclined to:
- upset stomach;
- with thyroid problems.
As for cauliflower and broccoli, despite their leadership, they can be harmful:
- patients with problems of the pancreas;
- people with diagnosed gastritis and high acidity;
- people who have allergies;
- patients diagnosed with weak intestinal tone.
Is it harmful to the intestines: can you eat a vegetable at night or not?
Due to the sufficient content of fiber and mineral components, taking cabbage at night can cause:
- heaviness, bloating;
- excessive gassing;
Reception of cabbage is recommended no later than 3-4 hours before bedtime, in order to protect yourself from discomfort and unforeseen diarrhea.
Why is cabbage harmful?
Excessive consumption of it can:
- reduce the amount of semen in men;
- cause defects in the functioning of the liver and kidneys due to excess salt, when using sauerkraut.
It is necessary to control the daily intake of cabbage for people:
- with renal failure;
- with gallbladder problems;
- with an advanced form of an ulcer.
How to choose the store?
You can choose a quality vegetable based on its detailed visual inspection. Algorithm of actions when choosing cabbage:
- Leaf analysis - they must meet two parameters: freshness and green color.
- The head of cabbage should be firm and white at the cut.
When pressing on the vegetable, deformations should not appear and the optimal weight of the fruit should be 1 kg.
Be careful when choosing any kind of cabbage. Its appearance should be presentable, without strong odors and with fresh outer leaves.
Which view is best?
Which cabbage is healthier? Each type of cruciferous vegetable has its own beneficial properties., but not everyone is suitable for all categories of people, from babies to the elderly. But the body of each of us needs to receive the required amount of vitamins and minerals daily.
Broccoli is a type of cabbage suitable for different age categories of people and even babies from the age of 4-5 months.
It has a good effect on the development of the child's body, contributes to the maintenance of natural beauty in women and girls, and also empowers men. This species is a clear leader for reasons:
- easy digestibility in comparison with other types of cabbage;
- the absence of gastrointestinal irritation, which allows the product to be eaten by people who have been diagnosed with non-severe diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- preserving the maximum number of useful elements for any processing;
- the huge content of vitamin C.
We suggest looking at the video which type of cabbage is better - Chinese or white cabbage:
We suggest watching a video on which type of cabbage is better - cauliflower or broccoli:
So it turns out that cabbage is a very useful vegetable for daily use... It helps to get rid of weakness, lethargy, fatigue, problems with the gastrointestinal tract and the immune system. Cabbage is successfully used both in the field of traditional medicine and in the fields of cosmetology, dietetics, and traditional medicine.