Novice gardeners are wary of growing cabbage, because they believe that this process requires special skills.
Just a few decades ago, it was, but every year more and more new varieties of crops appear that require much less attention, and are characterized by high resistance to the effects of diseases and pests. These varieties include cabbage "Atria".
In this article, you will learn how to properly plant and grow this type of cabbage, as well as how to preserve the resulting crop.
Description of the variety
Cabbage variety "Atria" is a mid-season hybrid, the first harvest of which can be obtained 120 days after transplanting into open soil.
Cabbage is characterized by high endurance, excellent presentation and shelf life up to six months.
The head of cabbage has a blue-green color and a rounded shape, rather dense... There is a small semi-raised rosette on the cut.
The average weight of a head of cabbage varies from 4 to 8 kg. Its leaves are medium in size, wide. They have almost no blistering, waviness, no incised edges.
History of origin
Atria F1 hybrid cabbage variety was developed by Dutch breeders (read more about Dutch cabbage varieties here). And in 1994, the variety was included in the state register of the Russian Federation.
What is the difference from other species?
Among the large number of cabbage species, the hybrid variety "Atria" stands out for its high yield and unpretentious care. With prolonged storage, the variety becomes juicier, which is why the taste of cabbage only improves.
Also a distinctive feature is the rapid growth and compactness of the plant, and thanks to breeding work, the variety has become resistant to diseases such as fusarium and gray rot.
Pros and cons of F1 hybrid
This variety is able to attract the attention of both ordinary summer residents and farmers who professionally grow vegetables for sale.
And all because it has an impressive list of advantages:
- ripening heads of cabbage are highly resistant to cracking;
- low susceptibility to disease;
- high level of productivity;
- good taste;
- synchronous maturation of seeds planted at the same time;
- high socket density at the time of technical maturity.
But there are also several disadvantages:
- high need for watering;
- after watering, the plant needs hilling and loosening of the soil;
- for planting seeds, a spacious and unshaded area is required.
Step by step instructions for care and planting
Cabbage variety "Atria" is grown in two ways: planting ready-made seedlings and sowing seeds directly on the beds. The first method is used mainly in the northern regions, and the second - in the southern ones.
In order to get a large amount of the harvest of the Atria cabbage variety, you need to pay attention to the following manipulations:
- Buying seeds... Seeds can be easily ordered in many online stores directly with home delivery, in such cases, the cost of 2.5 thousand seeds will be from 1,500 rubles; 20 seeds will cost about 25 rubles. In large cities, seeds can be purchased at specialty stores and farmers' markets.
- Boarding time... The most suitable time for sowing seeds is April. From 10 to 20 May, when the soil is already warmed up enough, seedlings are planted on the site. But before starting this process, the seeds must go through several procedures: hardening and testing for germination.
- Choosing a landing site... For planting cabbage variety "Atria", light and open areas, with even and fertile soil, are most suitable. If the climate is cold, then it is better to grow cabbage in a greenhouse.
- The soil... Due to the fact that the hybrid uses a large amount of various minerals and other nutrients, the soil must be fertile and well fertilized. The ideal option is black soil.
- Landing... Proper planting of a plant is the key to a good harvest, which is why certain rules must be followed when planting cabbage. The distance between the rows should be 60 cm, and the intervals between the seedlings should be from 30 to 35 cm. It is best to plant in cloudy weather or after 15 hours if the weather is hot. The seedlings should be deepened to the bottom leaves. In the early days, the plant should be protected from sunlight so that it does not get burned. During the week, seedlings should be sprayed with water two to three times a day.
- Temperature... The minimum growth temperature for cabbage is 7 degrees. The maximum temperature is 20 degrees. The optimum temperature for growing is recognized to be from 15 to 18 degrees.
- Watering... At first, cabbage is watered every 2-3 days, 8 liters of water per 1 m². After 14 days, the number of irrigations is reduced to 1 time per week, while consuming 13 liters per 1 m². The water temperature should not be below + 18 ° С. The greatest attention should be paid to the process in August, when the head of cabbage is being formed.
- Top dressing... In total, the Atria cabbage is fed four times.
- 20 days after planting. Two tablespoons of Effekton per 10 liters of water (0.5 liters of solution for 1 seedling).
- 10 days after the first application. One tablespoon of "Kemir" for 10 liters of water (1 liter of solution for 1 seedling).
- In June. 20 g of potassium sulfate and 18 g of superphosphate per 10 liters of water (5-6 liters of solution per 1 m²).
- In August, 3 weeks before harvest. 15 g "Nitrofoski" per 10 liters of water (5-6 liters of solution per 1 m²).
In order not to burn the roots of the plant, feeding should take place after watering, on wet ground.
- Other vegetable care measures... 21 days after planting cabbage in the garden, you need to carry out the first hilling, after another two weeks the procedure is repeated. Weeds are removed and the soil is loosened before and after irrigation. Frequent loosening of the soil is necessary to aerate the roots, this process increases the air supply to the plant.
- Harvesting... It is carried out at the end of August. If the cabbage is cut, a sharp knife is used for this. Cutting off the head, leave about 5 cm of the fruit stem and immediately get rid of the lower leaves. After collecting, the heads of cabbage are folded not on the ground, but on a film prepared for them. In the case of cabbage digging, the roots are cleared of the ground, and the lower leaves are also removed. The heads of cabbage are laid out to allow the roots to dry.
It is best to store the vegetable in a basement, cellar, or any other cool and dark place. The most suitable storage method is to hang the cabbage by the pre-peeled root.... Storage temperature is about 4 degrees.
Diseases and pests
Perhaps the most common pests of this variety are slugs. These pests are attracted by moist and cool soil, so good for their reproduction. For prophylaxis against slugs, ash is suitable, which, in addition, is also a plant food. It is applied once a week after rain or watering, when the leaves are still wet. If chickens or ducks are present on the territory, they will also do their job well and help get rid of pests.
Among insects, the main pest is cabbage aphid.that feeds on the sap of the plant. Since she does not like pungent odors, garlic can be planted next to the cabbage for prevention. In order to destroy aphids, use the "Iskra".
Prevention of various problems
And, finally, in order to protect yourself from any problems during the cultivation of cabbage variety "Atria", you should take into account some things:
- it is necessary to inspect the beds for the presence of pests or disease;
- cabbage planted with seeds needs more careful care;
- despite the resistance of the variety to some diseases, in order to prevent it, it is necessary to carry out processing 2 times a season;
- it is recommended to remove plant residues from the ground.
White cabbage is incredibly popular, because various delicious pickles, borscht, pies, cabbage rolls are made from it. On our site you will find photos, descriptions and tips for growing Dutch varieties such as: Rinda F1, Megaton F1, Gloria F1, Aggressor F1 and Parel F1.
Having planted this variety even in a small area, with proper care, you can achieve a decent harvest and provide your family with a supply of vitamins for the whole winter. The variety managed to earn attention, both among novice summer residents and among professional farmers. After all growing cabbage variety "Atria" does not require a lot of time and effort.