Cauliflower is a tasty and healthy product that can be made as a side dish, or can be prepared as a complete dish: baked in the oven or fried with something. Cauliflower casseroles are easy to cook, look delicious, and make a good lunch.
You can take fresh cauliflower or buy frozen cauliflower, but be sure to consider the differences between fresh and frozen cauliflower. In this article we will tell you exactly how to bake cabbage "from a bag" in the oven. Read more in our article.
What is the difference from fresh?
First of all, this is "preparation": unlike fresh, frozen cauliflower does not need to be washed, divided into inflorescences and cleaned of dirt, since all this has already been done before freezing.
The advantage of frozen cabbage is also that it can be found at any time of the year.... Of course, there are more nutrients in a fresh vegetable, but freezing still helps to preserve most of them.
Frozen cauliflower does not need to be thawed before cooking before baking.
Benefit and harm
Frozen cauliflower has nearly the same benefits as fresh cauliflower. Per 100 g of product, a frozen vegetable contains: 2.20 g of proteins, 0.21 g of fat, 3.97 g of carbohydrates. Its caloric content: 26.56 kcal (111 kJ). This vegetable has a choleretic property, contains a lot of vegetable protein, contains vitamins B, C, K, PP, micro- and macroelements, copper, potassium, selenium, manganese, fluorine, phosphorus, iron. 100 g of raw plant contains the daily requirement of vitamin C.
People with stomach ulcers, despite popular belief, should not consume this vegetable.: the product stimulates the production of gastric juice. Those who suffer from gout should also avoid consuming the product (as this vegetable contains purines).
Step by step instructions for cooking
The main ingredient, of course, is frozen cauliflower. You can find it in any store. It is better to take a semi-finished product from a trusted company, or cabbage in a transparent bag so that you can examine it for dirt or insects. Good frozen cauliflower does not need to be "cleaned": everything is done before freezing.
- Before baking frozen inflorescences, they must be boiled for 5-7 minutes.
- You do not need to defrost the cabbage before boiling it.
- The cabbage is thrown into the already boiling salted water.
- In no case should you boil the cabbage, otherwise it will become too soft.
- When cooked correctly, cauliflower remains crispy.
- If you do not boil it before baking, it will turn out tough and take a very long time to cook. We present you with a basic recipe.
To keep the cauliflower white after boiling, you need to sprinkle it with lemon juice.
- cauliflower - 1 kg.;
- milk - 150 ml.;
- sour cream - 50 ml.;
- flour - 30 grams;
- butter - 40 grams;
- breadcrumbs - 50 grams;
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the frozen vegetable by boiling it as described above.
- Soften the butter and brush it over the baking dish.
- Pour flour into a dry, unlubricated skillet and fry it until it changes color. Pour milk into the flour and wait until it boils.
- Add salt and pepper to the milk and flour mixture to taste, also add sour cream.
- Place the cauliflower in the dish so that it completely covers the bottom. Pour over the mixture and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Place in a preheated oven. Bake at 200 degrees for 20 minutes.
Everything is the same, but you need to add vegetables to taste, after washing and processing them. It is recommended to pre-fry the pepper in a pan.
Corn, bell peppers, leeks are best combined with cauliflower.
Vegetables serve as an additional decoration for the dish. You will find recipes for cooking cauliflower with vegetables in the oven in a separate article.
This recipe is no longer based on the basic one. It is taken:
- head of cabbage;
- 2 tbsp. tablespoons of flour;
- 2 eggs;
- a pinch of salt;
- 1 tbsp. a spoonful of vegetable oil.
- The cabbage is boiled.
- Eggs are beaten in a deep bowl, a pinch of salt is added. If desired, you can add pepper or other spices.
- Pour the sifted flour in several passes, mixing it with the egg.
- Put the cooled cabbage in the batter and roll so that the batter covers each inflorescence.
- Then the form is greased with vegetable oil, cabbage is laid out on it and baked until golden brown appears.
Information about the benefits and dangers of cauliflower baked in the oven in batter, as well as other recipes for preparing the dish and how to serve it on the table, can be found here.
Under the cheese crust
Everything is the same as in the basic recipe (you can also add 50 g of grated hard cheese into the dairy-flour mixture, which is poured over the vegetable), but 10 minutes before the end of baking, the dish is sprinkled with 50-70 g of grated hard cheese... You can find out about other recipes for baked cauliflower with cheese here.
Under sour cream
We move a little from the basic recipe:
- instead of a mixture of flour and milk, we make a mixture of 2 eggs;
- 250 g sour cream;
- 150 g of hard cheese (for example, Russian).
The rest is the same. You can find more variations of cauliflower dishes with sour cream and cheese in our article.
With minced meat
- For one head of cabbage, 250 g of ground beef is taken, to which is added diced onion (1 piece), egg, pepper and herbs.
- Everything is thoroughly mixed and laid out in a mold, on top - cabbage, it is poured with 100 ml of cream.
- We put in the oven at 200 degrees.
- When the cream is bubbling, cherry tomatoes, cut in half, are laid out on top of the cabbage.
- Everything must be salted and sent to bake for 15 minutes.
- We take everything out of the oven, sprinkle with cheese and parsley and send it back to bake until golden brown.
More options for cooking baked cauliflower with minced meat and vegetables are presented in a separate article.
- You can bake cauliflower with chicken fillet, cut into small pieces.
- In this case, the chicken fillet needs to be fried a little in a skillet.
It is recommended to combine chicken with cheese.
Cauliflower baked with other vegetables is good, that is, in the “with vegetables” recipe, add peas instead of pepper, you get a casserole with corn and green peas, but this is also better combined with cheese.
You can mix cauliflower with broccoli (a really good flavor combination) and cook according to one of the recipes written in the article, and use processed cheese instead of hard cheese. But it's better to learn about these recipes separately.
Ideas for submission
You can serve the casserole separately, as an independent dish, or as a side dish for meat. Grilled vegetables can be added to the casserole on a plate. You can even sprinkle some sauce over the casserole! In general, the scope for imagination is great.
In this article, we talked about the differences between fresh and frozen cauliflower, how to properly prepare a vegetable for baking, and provided the best recipes for cauliflower casseroles. Following our advice and recommendations, you have learned how to prepare a wonderful, hearty meal that will please the whole family... We wish you the best in your culinary endeavors.