Almost all housewives try to make preparations for the winter in order to enjoy healthy vegetable snacks during the cold season, which can also help out if guests suddenly appear on the doorstep and there is no time to prepare delicious treats.
The most popular in canning is cauliflower, because it always looks appetizing, turns out to be very tasty and crispy. In order for the product to last longer and not lose its useful properties, it is worth figuring out how to salt it correctly. In our article, we will share the best recipes for salting cauliflower for harvesting for the winter. You can also watch a useful video on this topic.
What is salting?
Attention: The salting process changes the taste of vegetables and is a common method of storing crops. It is based on the principle of lactic acid fermentation of sugars contained in raw materials.
However, along with beneficial bacteria, other microorganisms can develop, the result of whose vital activity makes food unsuitable for human consumption. To stop the growth of pathogenic microflora (fungi and mold), a preservative such as salt is added.
Methods for preserving food and their differences:
|How the process works||Salt content used for conservation|
|Urinating||Fermentation, which produces lactic acid, which acts as a preservative, occurs naturally. This method is used to harvest fruits and berries.||1,5-2%|
|Pickling||A method of preparing vegetables without adding acid||2,5-3%|
|Pickling||With the help of apple cider, tartaric vinegar or citric acid, which is added after the heat treatment of the main product||1-1,5%|
|Salting||The growth of foreign bacteria is stopped by the addition of salt||6-30%|
It is important to observe the measure, since in excessive quantities salt can not only spoil the taste of food, but also inhibit the natural fermentation processes.
How useful is a vegetable?
Like many other types of vegetables, cauliflower is an essential staple for most nutritionally conscious people... It contains the minimum amount of fat, calories and sugar. Also, this vegetable is considered a real storehouse of fiber, folic acid, vitamins B, C, E, K, PP, iron, calcium, sodium, proteins, phosphorus, magnesium and iodine.
Daily use of the product:
- enhances immunity;
- normalizes the digestive system;
- strengthens the walls of blood vessels;
- calms the nervous system;
- reduces the risk of malignant neoplasms and stroke;
- helps to lower cholesterol levels in the body.
Cauliflower rarely causes allergies. 100 g of salted cabbage contains 28.4 kcal, of which:
- 2.5 g protein;
- 0.3 g fat;
- 4.2 g of carbohydrates;
- 2.1 g dietary fiber;
- 0.1 g of organic acids;
- 90 g of water.
We recommend watching a useful video about the benefits and dangers of cauliflower:
Are there any contraindications?
Eating cabbage promotes the accumulation of purines and urea deposition, therefore, it should be eaten with caution for people with problems such as:
- ulcer of the duodenum and stomach;
- increased acidity;
- spasms of the intestinal tract;
- dysfunction of the urinary system.
It is also not recommended after abdominal surgery.
Step-by-step instructions for salting a vegetable at home
How to salt cauliflower correctly? Pickles will certainly turn out delicious if you choose cabbage only with light green inflorescences, without spots and damage. It is also recommended to place the vegetable in a mild saline solution for 3 hours before cooking to eliminate insects. Glass, wooden or enameled containers are perfect for salting for the winter. (no chips) that do not oxidize.
For the classic version of salting, you will need:
- 3 kg of fresh cabbage;
- 0.5 kg of carrots;
- ¼ Art. coarse salt;
- 1 liter of clean water;
- tarragon, bay leaves, dill, celery leaves - to taste.
- Initially, cabbage is disassembled into inflorescences, which should be dipped in boiling water for 1-2 minutes so that they become a little softer.
- Cut the carrots into small cubes or slices.
- Mix the specified amount of water with salt, bring to a boil and stir until the crystals are completely dissolved.
- While the brine is cooling down, you need to sterilize the jars and put bay leaves with tarragon on their bottom.
- Next, the containers should be filled with cabbage mixed with carrots, and put the rest of the greens on top, pour everything with brine and close tightly with lids.
- Salting must be kept in a warm place for 1.5 months, and then placed in a cool room.
A spicy appetizer with a spicy aroma is easy to prepare:
- boil 1 grated or cut into strips of carrots for 30 minutes (in salted water);
- mix it in a separate container with fresh inflorescences;
- add 3 allspice peas, 3 chopped garlic cloves and 1 tsp to the vegetables. red pepper;
- pour everything with hot brine from 1 liter of water, 3 tbsp. salt, ¼ tbsp. vinegar and 3 drops of lemon juice;
- close the lid and let it brew.
Advice: Before serving, it is recommended to season the salad with vegetable oil.
We recommend watching a video about cooking cauliflower in Korean:
With beets and carrots
By combining different types of seasonal vegetables, you can end up with an interesting and colorful dish.... Let's take a look at how to make cauliflower with beets and carrots.
For salting you will need:
- water - 1.5 l;
- salt and sugar - 100 g each;
- 2 kg of cabbage;
- carrots and beets - 1 pc each;
- garlic - 3 cloves;
- allspice and black peppercorns - 3-6 pcs.
- Cabbage inflorescences are mixed with previously grated carrots and beets, pepper, garlic sliced into slices.
- Then the mass is tightly packed into jars and poured with a hot marinade made from water, salt and sugar.
- The container with cabbage is not closed with lids and must stand at room temperature for at least 4 days, after which it can be refrigerated.
This Instant Salted Cauliflower Recipe helps you get a flavorful and tasty dish from the following ingredients:
- 300 g apple cider vinegar;
- 10 peas of allspice;
- 1-2 heads of cabbage;
- 20 g salt;
- 450 ml of water;
- 100 g sugar;
- Bay leaf.
- Cabbage, disassembled into inflorescences, is boiled in boiling water for 1-2 minutes.
- After that, it must be thrown into a colander to get rid of excess liquid, and sprinkle with 0.5 tbsp. salt, let stand.
- Place 1 bay leaf at the bottom of the cans, fill the containers with salted inflorescences.
- Pour everything with hot vegetable broth with added sugar, salt and vinegar, close the lids and roll up.
You can quickly and tasty cook cabbage with celery root... Such a dish will turn out not only appetizing, but also healthy. You will need:
- salt - 30 g;
- water - 1 l;
- celery root - 1 pc;
- cauliflower - 1 kg.
- Boil finely chopped celery and cabbage inflorescences for 5 minutes in salted water (until half cooked).
- Drain and immediately put in clean sterile jars, roll up with iron lids.
- Containers with conservation should stand upside down for 1-2 days, after which they are placed in a dark, cool room.
Salted cauliflower is served as a side dish for the second hot dishes... Small pieces of salted cauliflower will look beautiful with:
- fresh leaves of herbs (basil, celery, parsley, dill sprigs);
- strips of pickled bell pepper;
- asparagus beans;
- young green peas.
Having mastered the basic rules for cooking cabbage, you can safely experiment by adding new ingredients. As a result, such a snack will not only diversify the daily menu, but also surprise even the most capricious gourmets.