Each person has their own scent that sets them apart from others. In a normal and healthy state, this smell is light, almost imperceptible, without fetid notes. In some situations, the person may smell like garlic. In this case, the smell can be both sharp and weak, but perceptible.
Is the garlic scent a sign of a disease, and why does an unpleasant garlic odor emanate from the mouth or surfaces of the hands and other parts of the body, as well as from a person's urine or sweat, if they have not even eaten it? What to do in such a situation and how to get rid of this aroma?
Why there is a garlic smell: all the reasons for the appearance in adults
The slight aroma of this vegetable can be caused by objective and non-hazardous factors. These include a change in the usual climate, a failure in the usual mode or a sharp change in the climatic zone. Other natural causes also include the following:
- Nutrition and diet. There is a possibility of the appearance of a garlic odor from the human body due to the abundant consumption of onions and garlic, various hot spices, seasonings. In this case, a special diet is prescribed, in which the listed products are practically reduced to a minimum.
- The abundance of vitamin C in the body. This trace element is found in many foods. Once in the human body, it can remain in it for a long time. With excessive accumulation, the element is excreted with sweat, giving off a specific smell of garlic.
- Physical exercise. Each person's body reacts differently to various exercises and loads. For example, a man may smell sour garlic after an intense workout.
In addition to natural causes, pathological ones are also distinguished. These are various diseases and disorders in the body, the presence of bacteria and infections, excessive use of drugs, disturbances in the functioning of the endocrine and nervous systems.
Among these factors are malfunctions of certain body systems. So what provokes the smell?
- Disruption of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT), digestive organs.
- Pathology of the cardiovascular system. For example, profuse sweating (hyperhidrosis) and an unpleasant garlic smell may indicate a heart attack.
- Peptic ulcer disease.
- Stressful situations that lead to exacerbation of gastritis, ulcers, disturbance of the digestive system. An unpleasant garlic smell is observed in such a situation from only one place on the body.
- Disruption of the thyroid gland.
- Excessive use of medications containing vitamin C or antibiotics.
- Development of infectious diseases, their acute form. Most often, this fetid aroma accompanies tuberculosis.
- Malignant tumors.
Under what diseases does it appear and what to do in this case, is treatment necessary?
The aroma of garlic from the body is an unpleasant phenomenon that only brings discomfort. This smell can come from different organs and parts of the body. For each specific case, there is an explanation, treatment and diet.
Why does an adult's mouth smell like garlic, although a person has not eaten a vegetable and what treatment is needed? The reasons are gastritis, disruption of the gastrointestinal tract, ulcers. If you identify an unpleasant odor and the first signs of malaise, you should contact a gastroenterologist for complete diagnostics and drug treatment. For treatment, antacids are prescribed - neutralizers of acid that accumulates in gastric juice. These are Maalox, Omes, Almagel and others. Antibiotics and pain relievers are also prescribed. In extreme cases, operable intervention is indicated.
The patient is prescribed a special diet that excludes fried, salty, smoked and too solid foods. Personal hygiene is imperative: use of mouthwash, chewable tablets, activated carbon.
The next reason is diseases of the endocrine system. Additional symptoms:
- increased fatigue;
- a sharp change in mood;
In this case, you should consult an endocrinologist. The patient is recommended moderate sports activity, giving up bad habits. Hormone therapy, phytopreparations and adherence to a diet are mandatory. The diet includes (depending on the exact problem and test results) iodine-containing foods, fermented milk products, cereals, raw vegetables and fruits.
From the body (skin, hands)
The first factor is fungal infection. At the same time, there is a smell of garlic from the hands and skin, there is peeling, redness, ichor, thickening of the dermis. In this case, you should immediately consult a mycologist. The specialist diagnoses and prescribes treatment with antifungal drugs. The diet consists of:
- dairy products with a low percentage of fat;
- lean meats;
- vegetables, fruits, nuts;
- drinking plenty of fluids.
Advice! Personal hygiene should consist of daily warm showers, wearing quality cotton underwear, and daily washing of linen and clothes. It is important to observe the optimal temperature and humidity values in the room.
Another likely cause is disorders of the pancreas. It is accompanied by weight loss, intoxication, weakness. The treatment is carried out by a gastroenterologist. Assigned collection of tests, biochemical analysis of liquids (blood, urine). Drug therapy is prescribed. Diet components:
- vegetable broths;
- grated porridge;
- chopped vegetables and fruits;
- low-fat dairy products.
Personal hygiene includes daily body cleansing, regular washing of linen and clothes, and the use of natural deodorants.
From discharge in women
The diet is more aimed at general strengthening of the immune system: it is an abundance of vitamins, fruits and vegetables, and a restriction in salt intake. Personal hygiene includes a daily shower, regular washing, douching, and the use of sanitary napkins.
The reason is also hidden in diseases of the genitourinary system. For treatment, you need to contact a urologist or gynecologist. A diet is prescribed that excludes fatty meats, dairy products with high fat content, sweets, alcohol, tobacco. Personal hygiene involves showering several times a day., women need to resort to special daily sanitary pads.
The smell of garlic sweat can indicate many diseases, from disorders of the nervous system to the formation of cancerous tumors.
To accurately determine the diagnosis, you should contact a therapist who can give a general definition and refer the patient to a narrow specialist.
The diet is prescribed depending on the disease. Personal hygiene necessarily includes general rules:
- using only individual items;
- control over the purity of the body;
- the use of natural deodorants.
So, an unpleasant garlic smell that can come from different parts of the body may be the first sign of a serious illness. The emergence of this particular scent should not be ignored. If it is found, it is imperative to consult a doctor. For the initial appointment, you can go to a therapist, and then he will independently refer you to a narrow specialist.