You can feed the grown tomatoes not only with fertilizers based on chemical compounds purchased in the store, but also with folk remedies. They are no less effective and completely natural. Tomatoes can be fed not only with ready-made fertilizers based on chemical compounds. Natural dressings have also proven to be excellent, thanks to which the plants give a good harvest. Fertilizing tomatoes contributes to the correct growth and development of tomato bushes, abundant flowering, high-quality fruit setting, and their rapid harvest ripening.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Natural Fertilizers
The advantages of natural dressings undoubtedly include the fact that they contain trace elements necessary for plants and, often, they cost nothing and are well absorbed, surpassing store options in efficiency.
The disadvantages of folk fertilizers, such as manure, include:
- It will take from three weeks to several months for the breakdown of trace elements in them. An incompletely ripe fertilizer, instead of being beneficial, will contribute to the appearance of insect pests.
- The non-volatile nitrogen contained in this type of top dressing can contaminate the soil.
- Also, in folk remedies for feeding, we can never know the exact dosage of the main elements.
- To prepare the infusion, you need to collect young nettle leaves. They contain a large concentration of not yet wasted nitrogen, potassium and iron.
- The container is 2/3 filled with nettles and filled with water, but not to the very edge.
- Cover with a lid and insist in a warm place for 7-10 days.
- After the right time, 1 liter. infusion is diluted in 10 liters of water.
- The resulting solution is watered with tomatoes at the root at the rate of 1-2 liters per plant.
Fertilization with nettle infusion should not be carried out often... Maximum two dressings per month.
We suggest watching a video about that. how to prepare nettle tomato fertilizer:
You can use natural whey for both seedlings and adult plants.
To prepare the solution you need:
- Take 1 liter of dairy product and 20 drops of iodine, mix with 10 liters of water.
- Stir and feed the tomatoes at the rate of 1 liter of the product for one adult bush.
Ash, iodine, ammonia
- To feed the tomatoes with ash, you need:
- Dilute 1 glass of ash in 10 liters of water.
- Water the beds with tomatoes with the resulting solution. Pour undissolved ash under the plants.
- Ash can be used for foliar dressing. For this:
- 300 grams of ash must be diluted in 3 liters of water and boiled for half an hour.
- After that, insist for five hours, bring the volume of liquid to ten liters and add a small amount of liquid soap there so that the dressing is better kept on the leaves.
- The solution must be filtered and sprayed with tomato tops.
- With the help of iodine, you can not only accelerate the ripening of fruits, but also save tomatoes from late blight. For this:
- Four drops of iodine are dissolved in 10 liters of water.
- The resulting liquid is poured over tomatoes at the rate of 2 liters per plant.
- Ammonia, being a nitrogenous substance, perfectly promotes the development of plants.
An alcoholic solution created with his own hand removes the painful yellowness of the leaves, because when the culture does not have enough nitrogen, the production of chlorophyll slows down. The universal solution is easy to prepare.
- Mix 50 ml of ammonia with 4 liters of water and water the plant at the root.
- In order for such feeding of tomatoes to work as efficiently as possible, it must be carried out regularly.
- You can also feed the tomatoes with chicken dung. This fertilizer is fast-acting, contains a lot of nitrogen and phosphorus.
We offer you to watch a video on how to prepare fertilizers for tomatoes from iodine:
We also suggest looking at how to prepare fertilizer for tomatoes from ash:
Video on how to prepare fertilizer for tomatoes from ammonia:
Recommendations for use and characterization of the chemical composition
The principles of feeding tomato seedlings with folk remedies are the same as when feeding with mineral fertilizers:
- Do not exceed the dose, it is better to give the plant less feeding.
- The nutrient composition is applied only on wet soil.
- Seedlings are fed in the morning.
- The temperature of the liquid top dressing should be 22-25 degrees.
Ash is an excellent top dressing for growing tomato seedlings.... It belongs to a long-acting fertilizer, so it can be applied in a small amount directly to the soil in which tomato seedlings will grow.
The ash of different plants contains different doses of chemical elements:
- Large amounts of calcium in deciduous tree ash.
- There is a lot of phosphorus in the ash of coniferous trees.
- The ash of vines or herbaceous plants is extremely rich in potassium.
- Iron and lime are found in peat ash.
Seedling ash is best applied in the form of an extract.... To do this, pour a glass of ash with 8 liters of boiling water, insist for a day and filter.
Along with ash, which can be added to the soil before sowing, dormant coffee grounds are used. It will improve the soil structure and feed the seedlings.
You can add with watering the following nutritional compositions prepared according to folk recipes:
- The skins of four bananas are placed in a three-liter jar and filled with warm water. After three days, the infusion is ready, it is an invaluable source of potassium.
- The shell of 3-4 eggs must be slightly crushed, folded into a three-liter jar and filled with water. After a few days, you can water the seedlings with this solution.
Nuances when growing adult bushes
Fertilizer in the open field
It is recommended to divide the application of top dressing into several stages.:
- Some time after planting in the ground, young plants are fed with grass infusion.
Any herb is suitable for this, with only one prerequisite - the absence of seeds in it.
Tomatoes are fertilized with a mixture of 10 liters of water and 0.5 liters of herbal infusion. The solution is applied at the root at the rate of 1 liter per 1 plant.
- During budding, wood ash is added. Beforehand, the ground is well watered. You can sprinkle the beds with ash, or add water to it and water the tomatoes with a ready-made solution.
- When the bushes bloom and form an ovary, they are fed with infusion of mullein or bird droppings. The fermented infusion is diluted with water at the rate of 1:10 and watered with tomato bushes. It is important to ensure that the solution does not get on the leaves, this will burn them.
In the greenhouse
To get a good harvest, they change the place of planting tomatoes from time to time.... Proper crop rotation prevents land depletion. In a greenhouse, it is unrealistic to carry out this procedure, therefore greenhouse plants are first fed before planting.
In the fall, when digging, rotted humus is introduced into the soil at the rate of 2 kg per square meter. This method of preparing the beds replenishes the missing amount of organic matter in the soil after the previous harvest.
At further stages, the schemes and recipes for feeding tomatoes in a greenhouse do not differ from those used for ground plants, but in a greenhouse, many barren flowers are often formed.
To avoid empty flowers, bushes during flowering are treated with the following composition:
- Iodine - 3 drops.
- Water - 1 liter.
- Milk whey - 3 tablespoons.
- Hydrogen peroxide - 1 teaspoon
This solution is used to spray the green part of the plant.
Read more about greenhouse tomato feeding here.
How to feed tomato seedlings so that they are plump?
To harvest plump and juicy tomatoes, you need to pay special attention to the introduction of nutrients into the seedlings.
To do this, you can use:
- Yeast... The effect of adding yeast is growth stimulation, thickening of thin seedlings, good development of the root system. To prepare the solution, you will need 10 liters of warm water, in which a package of yeast is diluted.
- Onion peel... Infusion of onion peels refers to a soft top dressing, they can be replaced with water during each watering or used from time to time. For cooking, you need to pour two handfuls of husks into a liter jar and pour hot water, leave for a day and strain. No additional dilution is required. Seedlings are watered with the resulting solution under the root.
You will find more information on feeding tomato seedlings to have plump stems here.
Taking into account the simple and, at the same time, very effective recipes for the preparation of natural dressings, you can get consistently large yields of tomatoes with excellent taste from year to year.