Pickled cabbage is a popular appetizer in our country with a wide variety of cooking options. This is an extremely healthy product containing a minimum of calories and a maximum of useful compounds. In addition to its benefits, sauerkraut is prized for its versatility - it can be consumed as a stand-alone dish or as a side dish, or used as an addition to many other recipes.
Crispy pickled cabbage has a special value - it is considered the most juicy and tasty. Let's take a closer look at how you can cook it, what to combine with and how useful it really is.
What gives it a crunch?
The main aspect of the appetizer is an appetizing crunch, which may not always come out as a result of pickling. This factor can be very frustrating, since the cabbage will not turn out as tasty as originally planned.
To prevent this from happening, you should know how to deliciously pickle cabbage so that it is crispy:
- The basis of all the basics is the right variety. Too early varieties are not suitable for pickling due to the high sugar content.
- Manufacturing technology. Not enough salt will make the cabbage soft. You should also know that coarse salt is suitable, more suitable for salting. Iodized salt should not be used at all.
- Cabbage immediately after cooling, or after a day, should be put into the refrigerator. Keeping warm for a long time will make it soft.
- Marinade - you need to be careful about the salt and vinegar content in the main recipe, not exceeding or reducing the indicated amount.
Compliance with all these rules will allow you to get an excellent result, and pickled cabbage will definitely crunch.
Benefit and harm
The main feature of this dish is the ability to retain nutrients. for a long time, even in larger quantities than in fresh cabbage. This makes it a real storehouse of useful components, because few products can compete with this snack.
Pickled cabbage contains:
- B vitamins;
- vitamin K;
- ascorbic acid;
- nicotinic acid (PP);
- minerals: iron, manganese, copper, iodine, potassium, calcium, cobalt, sodium, magnesium, phosphorus, chromium, zinc, selenium, fluorine, molybdenum and chlorine.
An impressive vitamin and mineral composition is perfectly combined with a small amount of calories - only 56 per 100 g. The protein content in the same amount is 0.93 g, fat - 3.7 g, and carbohydrates - 4.5 g. All this together makes cabbage ideal an option both for weight loss and for maintaining the strength of the body in the autumn-winter period.
The benefits for the body are truly enormous:
- rich vitamin and mineral composition is a wonderful prevention of vitamin deficiency;
- with regular use, thanks to the B vitamins, the work of the nervous system improves, its stability increases;
- the intestinal microflora is normalized;
- due to nicotinic acid, the processes of splitting fats and carbohydrates are accelerated;
- blood circulation processes are stimulated, due to which the condition of the teeth and gums is improved;
- due to the amino acids that make up the composition, the content of bad cholesterol decreases, antimicrobial effect is exerted;
- immunity increases.
The harm of pickled is insignificant, but it is still there:
- can cause bloating and flatulence, as it contains a large amount of coarse fiber;
- due to the significant amount of salt, it can cause swelling.
Also, cabbage should not be consumed by people suffering from diabetes mellitus, pancreatitis and exacerbation of diseases of the stomach, liver and kidneys. You can learn more about the beneficial and harmful properties of pickled cabbage here.
Reference: cabbage is one of the record holders for the content of vitamin C in the composition - there are 41.5 g of ascorbic acid per 100 g of the product. This is even slightly more than its content in a similar amount of oranges, where on average there are 40 g of useful vitamin per 100 g.
Which species is better to pickle?
The best option is autumn cabbage varieties, for example, Slava and Moscow late. They are most suitable for pickling and give exactly the crunchy taste of the appetizer. Heads of cabbage should be chosen the most dense and juicy. For pickling, you can use both white and red cabbage.
How to cook in a jar to make it delicious?
- cabbage - 2.5 kg;
- garlic - 3-4 cloves;
- medium-sized carrots - 5 pieces;
- water - 1 liter;
- sugar - 1/2 cup (volume - 200 ml);
- apple cider vinegar - 100 ml (1/2 cup);
- vegetable oil - 1/2 cup;
- salt - 2 tablespoons.
- You must first wash all the vegetables.
- Chop the cabbage, coarsely grate the carrots, finely chop the garlic.
- Mix all vegetables together and put in a deep saucepan.
Reference: you should not press too much, just stir gently.
Next, we prepare the marinade:
- Boil water in any container of a suitable volume. Add vinegar, sugar, oil and salt to it. To stir thoroughly.
- Pour the hot marinade over the cabbage and cover.
- After 24 hours, the cabbage can be tasted and put in the jars.
- Store the snack in the refrigerator.
In the video you can watch another recipe for making pickled cabbage in a jar:
Besides the classic recipe, there are many different variations of pickled cabbage. Let's take a look at the two most commonly used in cooking.
To add spicy pungency, add one red hot pepper or a heaped tablespoon of it to the original recipe, but ground. When using fresh peppers, the vegetable should be carefully cut into long strips and added to the mixture. Powder should also be added to cabbage, carrots and garlic mixed with each other. It should not be boiled with the marinade. You can read more recipes for making spicy pickled cabbage in our article.
For a more pronounced sweet taste in a classic recipe, you can double the amount of sugar or, alternatively, add 100 g of raisins to the mixed vegetables.
Adding simple, affordable ingredients will create a noticeably sweeter snack.
- Pickled cabbage goes well with other vegetables as well as heavier meat and fish main courses.
- An excellent option for serving for a light dinner is pickled cabbage with herbs and vegetable oil. It is enough to add green onions, dill and pour over everything with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Crispy cabbage with boiled round potatoes or mashed potatoes is very tasty.
- You can mix the appetizer with other pickled vegetables, such as cucumbers. Sprinkle all this with vegetable oil and you get a delicious and healthy salad. If desired, you can add greens.
- A popular serving option is to add pickled cabbage to the vinaigrette. This will greatly diversify the taste of the main dish and make it even more healthy and tasty.
Pickled cabbage is a great snack option for all occasions. Simple preparation and a variety of serving options make it almost indispensable in every kitchen. This pickled crunchy vegetable is able to diversify the table in the autumn-winter period and saturate the body with a large amount of vitamins and minerals. And in combination with a low calorie content, it will be an excellent assistant in a variety of diets and will help you achieve excellent results faster.