Cauliflower is a healthy food. Scientists and nutritionists recommend including it in the weekly diet, promising improved health and prolonged youth.
Moreover, it should be present on the menu not once in a seven-day period, but at least two days. Cabbage becomes the most frequent guest on the table in summer.
At this time, it is especially tasty, the dishes made from it are more juicy and tender. Most are familiar with only a few cabbage dishes. There are many recipes for cooking vegetables, even desserts are prepared from it.
Benefit and harm
Cabbage dishes are hearty, but moderately high in calories (25-28 cal / 100 g.). In addition to the fact that a portion contains a small number of calories, the body receives a lot of vitamins and other useful substances.
The calorie content of foods is taken into account in diets to formulate an effective weight loss and healthy diet. Keep in mind that calorie data is relative.
The data are given for one hundred grams, but the number of components in any product depends on various factors (variety, growing conditions, recipe features, technological processing).
Cauliflower contains protein (2.4), fat (0.3), carbohydrates (4.1)... In terms of nutritional value, taste and dietary properties, this vegetable is superior to its other counterparts. Unlike other types of cabbage, it contains more proteins (one and a half to two times), "ascorbic acid" (two to three times). Contains many vitamins (C, group B, PP, A), trace elements (calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, sodium).
- Cauliflower is absorbed better than its cabbage relatives, it does not irritate the stomach lining.
- Reduced coarse fiber makes it easier to digest.
- Of all types of cabbage, it is cauliflower that is preferable for stomach problems, especially for stomach ulcers and its decreased secretion.
- Recommended by pediatricians for baby food.
- Has anti-cancer properties.
- Contains components that increase immunity.
- Helps reduce the likelihood of cardiovascular disease, is considered a prophylactic agent against heart attack.
Cauliflower enhances bile secretion... Not recommended for gout. Promotes more frequent bowel movements.
We suggest watching a video about the benefits of cauliflower:
Step by step instructions for cooking
Cauliflower dishes are periodically prepared by each housewife. They are loved by vegetarians, dieters, and those who are fasting. A multicooker, an oven and a "classic" cooking method - on the stove - are suitable for cooking. A big role in the preparation of this vegetable is played by a bouquet of spices, sometimes radically changing the cabbage taste, which in itself is not bad for the mood.
- cauliflower - within a kilogram;
- vegetable oil - two to three tablespoons;
- some pepper (red) and salt.
Variations in the preparation of lean cabbage dishes, which will be discussed below, are different, the only thing they are similar in is the initial stage of its preparation and "lean", so there is nothing "forbidden" among the components.
The cooking algorithm is simple:
- The first step is to cook the cabbage. Some experts advise to pre-divide it into inflorescences, explaining this by the fact that this way the cauliflower does not boil and is easier to separate. Others believe that inflorescences look more aesthetically pleasing when they are cooked apart. In both cases, the main thing is not to digest, as this will slightly worsen the taste of the dish (you can learn more about the boiling procedure here).
- Further, the broth can be used for the sauce, or you can simply drain it.
- After cooking, again, some advise to fry immediately, others are sure that you need to let the cabbage dry a little and cool down, which later improves the taste and has a beneficial effect on the subsequent frying process.
- Boiled cabbage is fried in oil until tender. To avoid overcooking, stir the cabbage from time to time. You can not fry, but stew the cabbage by adding a little broth to the pan and covering it with a lid (you can learn more about frying the vegetable here).
- Salt, pepper and other flavoring spices are most often added at the final stage of cooking.
With garlic sauce
Remove the cabbage from the water where it was boiled, put it on a plate. You can use it in this form, and fried in vegetable oil. In both cases, the cauliflower is sprinkled with garlic sauce. Add flour pre-fried in oil to the resulting broth, simmer a little, stirring constantly. Pour finely chopped garlic and herbs into the mixture, salt and pepper, bring to readiness.
We suggest watching a video on how to cook cauliflower in garlic sauce:
Add two to three tablespoons of ground almonds, lemon juice, salt, pepper to fried onions (in vegetable oil). Put cabbage, previously boiled and cooled, into the mixture. Fry until tender, stirring occasionally.
Make a lean batter with flour, water and salt. Dip the boiled cabbage into the mixture and fry. You can prepare the "lazy" option by pouring the batter into the cabbage... In both cases, it is recommended to fry until golden brown, turning over. It is better to salt and pepper before use.
You can find out more nuances about how to cook cauliflower in batter here, and how to do it in a frying pan, read this article.
We suggest watching a video on how to cook lean cauliflower in batter:
Fry onions in oil, add tomatoes, simmer a little. Garlic can be used if desired. Add boiled cabbage to the mixture and simmer until tender. Season with salt, pepper, sprinkle with herbs on top. You can add canned peas, beans, corn to the dish.
Fry the boiled cabbage a little in oil, add a little dry semolina, then fry more, stirring constantly. At the end of frying, you can cover it with a lid, which will give the dish a more bland and moist taste., or not, and then the semolina will be more fried, crispy.
We offer possible options for serving the dish:
- Cabbage in garlic sauce can be served on the table without any additions. If it seems that they are still needed, you can add a little grated cheese, chips, mushrooms or herbs.
- Cabbage with almonds... If desired, a little lemon juice / chopped lemon is added to the finished cabbage with almonds before serving, greens. The taste of this dish goes well with the lightness of mashed potatoes.
- Cabbage in lean batter can be supplemented with stewed vegetables for an invigorating contrast to the roasted main course. If there is no time for their preparation, then greens are quite suitable, which can be called a universal magic wand.
- Cabbage with tomatoes can be served as directed or sprinkled with grated cheese.
You can add cheese at the end of cooking and cover the pan with a lid to melt the cheese a little. In this case, it is better to add greens on top of the cheese before serving.
- Cabbage with semolina you can serve it with fresh cucumbers, which will add a touch of freshness to the main course. A good addition would be greens or sour cream. They can be added individually or together.
Due to its biochemical composition, cabbage belongs to the category of irreplaceable food products and is considered a valuable remedy. The simplicity and speed of preparation of some dishes allows you to quickly organize something tasty and healthy on the table, and even those who do not have much culinary experience can cope with this.