Beets have been an ubiquitous, nutritious food for centuries. It is widely represented in many of the favorite and popular dishes of Russian cuisine. Gardeners willingly grow beets, trying to choose the most juicy and sweet of the varieties.
This vegetable is rich in vitamins and contributes to the health of the body. This article describes in detail what determines the sweetness of the root vegetable, whether it can be increased, which varieties are the best, red and sugary.
What does it depend on?
The sweetness of beets can vary greatly, as can their juiciness and softness. The sweetness of beets is characterized by the percentage of sugar they contain.
With improper cultivation techniques, you can get tough and unsweetened root crops.
It is of fundamental importance:
- selection of quality seeds;
- proper care - sufficient uniform watering, maintaining constant moisture and looseness of the soil, air access to the roots, thinning of seedlings, proper feeding and alkalization of the soil, maintaining a pH of 6.5-7.5, weeding, mulching;
- the size of the harvested root crops should not exceed 5-6 cm.
Is there only sweetness in this beet?
Of all types of beets, sugar is the sweetest. The sugar content in its modern varieties is over 20%. It was taken from fodder beets just for the industrial production of sugar in the 18th century in Germany. And this was done due to the fact that in general there is a lot of sugar in the vegetable: in the dining room - 8.3%, in the feed room - 6%.
Which species are the darkest and most carbohydrates?
Beet skin color ranges from red to intense purple, and the pulp is from white to dark red and dark purple. It is generally accepted that the darker the pulp, the tastier the fruit and the more sugar, vitamins, anthocyanins and minerals in it.
But nowadays there are many sweet varieties with white to yellow flesh. As for sugar beet as such, its flesh is white.
The most popular among gardeners are the varieties of the sugar-yielding group.
- Latifa - a very early variety, characterized by drought resistance, high sugar content of 20.2%.
- Clarina characterized by rapid growth of root crops and accumulation of sugar, sugar content 18.9%.
- Acacia - a distinctive feature is resistance to diseases and drought, high sugar content, sugar content 18.5%.
We talked in more detail about the early varieties of beets and the peculiarities of their cultivation here.
- Spark - perfectly combines high yield and sugar content of 19.3%, tolerant to diseases.
- Caesaria characterized by high resistance to diseases, high sugar content of 19%.
- Andromeda - high-yielding variety with large roots, disease tolerant, sugar content 18.5%.
- Casimir - well stored, resistant to diseases, high sugar content of 19.8%.
- Ephesus - a high-yielding hybrid, resistant to disease and drought, sugar content 18.2%.
- Roderick - a fast-growing, highly productive, disease- and drought-resistant hybrid with a sugar content of 18.3%.
- Concept - a highly productive, fast-growing, disease-tolerant hybrid, the sugar content of which is 18.6%.
You will find a detailed description of sugar beets and instructions on how to grow them in this material.
- Red ball has roots weighing 150-250 grams with a juicy dark red pulp. It is necessary to sow in early spring and harvest in about 70 days.
- Bohemia ripens in 77-83 days, has excellent taste and tolerance to diseases, is well stored.
- Pablo F1 has rounded sweet roots weighing 200-380 grams, which are well stored.
- Egyptian flat has large purple-burgundy roots weighing more than half a kilogram with a pleasant taste, lying, drought-resistant.
- Valenta has smooth dark red roots weighing 175-360 grams with an unusual dessert taste, is cold-resistant, disease-tolerant, well-kept.
- Delicacy is a versatile cold-resistant crop with small round dark cherry fruits, suitable for all types of culinary.
- Eclipse - a culture resistant to adverse weather conditions.
The Eclipse variety has elongated oval-cylindrical curved roots weighing up to 350 grams with a delicate red-violet pulp, which are stored for a long time.
- Mashenka - a highly productive culture, tolerant to diseases, with dark red cylindrical fruits weighing about half a kilogram with excellent taste.
- Mulatto - a high-yielding, unpretentious variety, has maroon round roots weighing 180-360 grams with a wonderful taste.
- Ataman resistant to frost, has cylindrical dark red fruits weighing 200-300 grams with tasty, juicy, tender pulp.
- Larka - a high-yielding culture, resistant to flowering and stemming, characterized by dark red rounded root crops weighing 125-340 grams; a vegetable has the ability to remove toxic substances and radionuclides from the body.
- Renova - undemanding to growing conditions, cold-resistant culture, has cylindrical fruits weighing up to 400 grams with tasty red-violet pulp, odorless.
The pros and cons of table beets, as well as their area of application and growing technology, we discussed here.
The best table varietal types
Medium early variety (60-110 days), characterized by drought resistance, long storage, disease tolerance, has dark red roots weighing up to half a kilogram with excellent taste and high sugar content up to 12%.
We offer you to watch a video with an overview of the Bordeaux-237 variety:
Mid-season culture (about 110 days), not afraid of spring frosts and diseases, hygrophilous during growth, fruits are small, up to 210 grams, with burgundy pulp, excellent taste, sugar content up to 14%.
We offer you to watch a video about the Detroit variety:
Incomparable А 463
Mid-early beets ripen 70-100 days, unpretentious, high-yielding culture with flat-rounded fruits weighing 170-360 grams, with dark red tender pulp with burgundy rings.
Possesses excellent taste, cercosporosis resistance, long shelf life, suitable for all types of cooking.
We suggest that you familiarize yourself with the review of the variety Incomparable A 436:
Medium late (110-130 days) culture, high-yielding, resistant to diseases and unfavorable weather conditions, lying, with dark red cylindrical juicy roots weighing 250-500 grams with a pleasant taste, odorless.
We offer you to watch a useful video about the Cylinder beet variety:
Mid-season variety (110-120 days), characterized by high productivity, good keeping quality, disease resistance, cylindrical dark red roots with purple pulp weighing up to 400 grams and excellent taste.
Medium early (75-100 days) single-sprout variety, cylindrical fruits up to 300 grams with dark red pulp, excellent taste, does not require additional thinning, has good keeping quality, gives a stable yield.
The best sugar varietal varieties
Ramon Single Seed 47
One-sprout crop, has a yield of up to 44 t / ha and a sugar content of 18.6%, tolerant to adverse conditions and diseases.
A hybrid resistant to drought and diseases, it is characterized by a yield of up to 46 t / ha and a sugar content of 18.6%.
Lgovskaya single-seeded 52
One-sprout variety with a yield of up to 48.6 t / ha, sugar content 16.7%, cultivated according to intensive technology, disease resistant.
Can the sweetness of the root vegetable be increased?
You can increase the sweetness of beets by taking proper care of them:
- Use the best purchased seeds.
- Prepare loose, slightly alkaline soil with a pH of 6.5-7.5, fertilized with ash and humus.
- Watering, loosening, mulching systematically.
- Feed the plants with ash and mullein solution, but not manure.
- Once a season, water the soil with a solution of boric acid at the rate of 10 g per bucket of water, at the beginning and at the end of June - with nettle infusion.
- Harvest small 5-6 cm roots.
IMPORTANT! The sweetness of the beets can be increased with table salt (non-iodized). You should dilute one tablespoon per 10 liters of water and pour this solution over the garden bed three times. When six leaves grow, the fruit will grow out of the ground by 4 cm, then after half a month.
Sweet varieties of table beets, like sugar beets, have a large amount of nutrients, play an important food role in everyday life and in the food industry. Therefore, the choice of varieties adapted to Russian weather conditions, which grow better, bear abundant fruit, and have a great taste, is of fundamental importance for obtaining a high-quality harvest of sweet beets.
Information on which varieties are suitable for growing in open ground in the Russian Federation, including in the middle lane and in the Urals, can be obtained on the pages of our website. Among them, you will find many varieties of sugar, table and fodder beets. The only exception is the leafy look of this wonderful vegetable - the Russian climate is unfavorable for it.
We offer you a review of 4 varieties: Detroit and Cylinder, as well as Pablo and Bravo: