Gurian-style pickled cabbage is one of the most delicious Georgian preparations for the winter. Ready-made cabbage can be bought at any market, but the dish will be more delicious if you cook it yourself at home, it is not difficult to do this. This article will tell you what are the features of Gurian cabbage, what are the benefits and harms of the dish, how to cook cabbage according to classic and quick recipes, what other recipes are there, and how to serve the dish as effectively as possible.
Features of the dish
For those who want to decorate their festive table, this dish will be a godsend, since pickled cabbage in Gurian style differs from the usual familiar and familiar pickled cabbage in its bright ruby color, rich spicy aroma and pronounced taste, thanks to the addition of beets and various spices.
How to choose a head of cabbage?
To make the harvest correctly, you must pay due attention to the choice of cabbage head. Experienced chefs advise buying white heads of cabbage for cooking snacks, dense and large, fully ripe.
Benefit and harm
Nutritionists note that Gurian-style pickled cabbage is capable of retaining beneficial properties, the vegetable contains the following useful elements:
Thanks to the beneficial substances in its composition, cabbage increases the defenses of the human body, improves the intestinal microflora and even enhances stress resistance. Doctors note that people who have this dish in their diet are easier to cope with vitamin deficiency and are less sick with colds. These properties are explained by the content of vitamin C in the vegetable.
It is also worth mentioning that Gurian pickled cabbage contains amino acids, that is:
These substances help to improve the activity of the digestive tract, namely, reduce cholesterol levels, fight pathogens.
Reference! Gurian-style pickled cabbage stimulates metabolic processes and has a positive effect on the body for diseases such as gout, heart ischemia, gastritis, chronic constipation.
In addition, nutritionists advise those who want to lose weight to eat this dish, since it has a very low calorie content, amounting to 47 kilocalories per 100 grams of product. At the same time, the amount of fat is 0.55 g, carbohydrates 12.2 g, proteins 1.51 g.
But, despite all its positive properties, food, if abused, can be harmful to health, for example, cause intestinal flatulence due to its high fiber content. It is also not recommended to eat the dish for those people who suffer from diarrhea, colitis, high acidity of the stomach, enteritis, hypertension, or have had myocardial infarction.
More information about the benefits and harms of pickled cabbage can be found here.
Culinary experts have invented more than one recipe for this wonderful dish. Quite often, the composition of the ingredients in the preparation varies, the only thing in the preparation of this dish that has remained unchanged for centuries is the amount of salt added to it. Under-salted or over-salted marinade can ruin the flavor of the cabbage, so it is recommended to add no more than 1-2 tablespoons of salt per liter of water.
You can learn more about cooking cabbage marinade here.
Classic Beetroot Recipe
To prepare a blank according to the classic recipe, the following ingredients will be needed:
- two kilograms of white cabbage;
- one bunch of celery;
- 250 g of beets;
- one bunch of dill;
- three cloves of garlic;
- 2.5 glasses of water;
- ¼ glasses of table or wine vinegar;
- 10 black peppercorns;
- two bay leaves;
- ½ cup sugar;
- one tablespoon of salt;
- 10 peas of allspice.
The dish is prepared as follows:
- The head of cabbage is washed and cut into 8 pieces into slices.
- Beets are peeled and cut into half rings.
- The greens are washed, the garlic is peeled off.
- Then cabbage, dill and celery, beets and garlic are placed in an enamel or glass container. Further, the vegetables are stacked in one more layer in the same order, tamped.
- Next, the marinade is prepared, water is brought to a boil, into which pepper, sugar, lavrushka, salt are thrown and vinegar is poured.
- The marinade is immediately poured into the cabbage in such a way that it covers the top layer.
- Then the container is covered with a lid, and the vegetables are left to marinate for three days at room temperature.
Reference! After three days, the marinade is ready for use; you need to store it in the refrigerator.
We suggest you watch a video about cooking cabbage in Gurian style:
You can find out about other recipes for pickled cabbage with beets in this material.
In order to prepare a dish in a faster way, you need to stock up on the following ingredients:
- two kilos of white cabbage;
- two carrots;
- head of garlic;
- two beets;
- 200 ml of apple cider vinegar;
- two tablespoons of salt;
- two leaves of lavrushka;
- 200 g sugar;
- 3-4 pcs. carnations;
- 10 black peppercorns;
- a bunch of cilantro or celery;
- 3-4 peas of allspice;
- hot chili pod;
- 200 ml of vegetable oil.
The meal is prepared as follows:
- The top leaves are removed from the cabbage, the vegetable is cut into 3 by 3 centimeters squares.
- Beets and carrots are peeled and cut into strips.
- All vegetables are laid out in an enamel pan.
- Next, hot pepper is cut into rings, and the garlic is cut into slices. Everything is added to the vegetables in the pan.
- Then the marinade is prepared, water in the amount of one liter is brought to a boil, all the spices are added to it, when the marinade is removed from the stove, vinegar is poured into it and mixed thoroughly.
- Next, vegetables are poured into a saucepan with hot marinade, a plate is placed on top, on which the load is placed (you can learn more about different recipes for hot marinade for cabbage here).
Cabbage is pickled for no more than a day, then laid out in banks and sent to storage in a refrigerator or cellar.
Important! The brine level in cabbage should be checked from time to time to ensure that it covers the vegetables completely.
We suggest you watch a video about cooking Gurian cabbage in a quick way:
More details about other recipes for pickled cabbage with carrots can be found here.
Other cooking variations
Also, Gurian pickled cabbage can be prepared in other ways, the most often used are the following.
- No vinegar... Not all housewives add vinegar to the marinade when preparing blanks, as they consider it not too useful for the stomach. It is worth noting that Gurian cabbage without vinegar is prepared in the same way as according to the classic recipe, but this ingredient is not poured into the marinade. Culinary experts only recommend letting the vegetables marinate a little longer, that is, 4-5 days, then they become ready to eat.
- No beets... Traditionally, this dish is prepared with this particular vegetable, but some housewives experiment and add carrots and bell peppers instead of beets. The rest of the ingredients correspond to those used in the classic preparation of the dish.
- No celery... Many housewives prefer to pickle cabbage in the Gurian way, without using celery, due to the fact that not all family members like it. In this case, this ingredient is often replaced by the more familiar parsley, otherwise the food is prepared in the same way as in the classic recipe.
Quite often, Gurian-style pickled cabbage is served on the table as an independent dish. Sometimes onions, cut into rings, are added to a ready-made dish, and poured with vegetable or olive oil, served on the table as a salad.
Gurian-style pickled cabbage is an interesting and tasty dish that is perfect for any festive table, regardless of what time of the year the event takes place.