Jerusalem artichoke is also called Jerusalem artichoke, tuberous sunflower, earthen pear and sun root. This plant is native to North America. Its amazing healing properties were discovered by the ancient Indians, which made it popular for many centuries. Even now, people are happy to grow and use this amazing root vegetable! This article will tell you what Jerusalem artichoke is, what it looks like, what its chemical composition is, what useful properties it has and what diseases it treats, as well as how to use it to combat various ailments.
What is it - botanical definition
Jerusalem artichoke is a tuberous plant belonging to the Astrov family... The aerial part of the plant, that is, its stem, leaves, are very similar to a sunflower. The roots are pear-shaped tubers. They can be yellowish, white or purple. Yellowish Jerusalem artichoke is very similar to potatoes or ginger. They taste like mild radishes. Ripen in September-October.
Jerusalem artichoke is not an agricultural crop, but many grow it in their gardens as a medicinal plant with medicinal tubers. They can be eaten raw, but besides this there are many recipes for drinks, sweet dishes with Jerusalem artichoke. Also, these tubers can be eaten boiled and fried.
Photo of tubers
Here you can see a photo of Jerusalem artichoke tubers:
While examining the composition of Jerusalem artichoke root, doctors were amazed. Despite the external resemblance to potatoes, an earthen pear is many times more useful. this root vegetable.
As part of the Jerusalem artichoke root, water takes up the majority. In addition, it contains:
- 11% proteins;
- 1% fat;
- 4% fiber;
- 6% ash.
There is a lot of inulin in the roots of Jerusalem artichoke (15-35%). Fructose contains 2.5-3.5%, there are also pectin substances, hemicellulose.
Sun root is rich:
- potassium (48%);
- silicon (10%);
- phosphorus (3.7%);
- iron (3.7%);
- calcium (3.3%);
It also contains arginine, carotene, choline and vitamins C, PP, B1, B2.
About the benefits and dangers of Jerusalem artichoke, as well as its chemical composition, we talked in more detail here.
Useful and medicinal properties
- They are successfully used for the complex purification of the body from toxins. The sun root will be useful for people who live in regions with poor ecology. It removes toxins, heavy metal salts and even radionuclides from the body. The main condition for this is regular use, one-time use is useless.
- Diabetics should introduce Jerusalem artichoke into their daily diet, make it a common dish for themselves. Due to the high concentration of inulin, it quickly lowers blood sugar levels and has a beneficial effect on the work of the pancreas.
- Jerusalem artichoke is a real salvation for the digestive system. It is difficult to name a gastrointestinal disease in which it would not bring relief. Earthen pear treats gastritis, pancreatitis, chronic constipation, colitis, bowel disorder. It helps very quickly with nausea and vomiting.
- For hypertensive patients, the sun root should be consumed regularly, as it normalizes blood pressure. It is also useful for atherosclerosis, relieves tachycardia attacks.
- There is a lot of silicon in the roots of Jerusalem artichoke, due to which calcium is well absorbed in the body. Therefore, it is useful for problems with bones and teeth.
- There is a lot of vitamin C in an earthen pear, therefore regular use in autumn, winter and spring will help strengthen the immune system and avoid diseases. If the virus is nevertheless caught, the disease usually goes away in a very mild form.
- Consuming this root promotes the absorption of selenium, which is one of the strongest natural antioxidants. Therefore, the sun root also rejuvenates the body.
- Children can be given freshly squeezed earthen pear juice to strengthen immunity and increase hemoglobin.
- These tubers are beneficial for men, as they can cure BPH early or prevent further deterioration in advanced cases. Regular use will help men maintain potency until old age.
- Women appreciate the earthen pear for its excellent anti-aging properties. But these effects appear only if it is introduced into the diet on an ongoing basis. In this case, many women notice the smoothing of fine wrinkles, the disappearance of acne, seborrhea, and skin inflammation. The effect is achieved due to the copper, sulfur and zinc in the tubers.
- Jerusalem artichoke is useful for the prevention and treatment of heart disease, as it improves water-salt metabolism.
- It is indispensable for diseases of joints and bones (osteoporosis, gout, osteochondrosis, arthritis), as it prevents uric acid deposits.
- Arginine and phosphorus in the composition increase physical and psycho-emotional endurance. Therefore, Jerusalem artichoke is useful for those who work hard physically, as well as those who have experienced severe stress or are constantly under the influence of stress factors. Earthen pear acts like a real natural antidepressant.
- The sun root is beneficial for those who suffer from insomnia. If you eat it before bed or drink fresh juice, sleep will soon return to normal.
- Regular use of Jerusalem artichoke is an excellent prevention of cancer.
We talked about the medicinal properties of this plant in this article.
Contraindications to the use of earthen pear
- Jerusalem artichoke intolerance is very rare. If you have never eaten it, you do not need to eat a lot at once, it is better to start with small pieces to make sure that there is no allergic reaction or any individual body reactions.
- Raw solar root is contraindicated in people prone to flatulence, as it increases gas production in the intestines. Better to eat it boiled or baked in combination with coriander or caraway seeds, on the contrary, it reduces the manifestations of flatulence.
- In case of cholelithiasis, use with caution, an earthen pear can provoke the movement of stones.
How to use?
- Wash 0.5 kg of Jerusalem artichoke and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut and put through a juicer.
- If there is no juicer, you can twist it in a meat grinder, fold the gruel into cheesecloth and squeeze the juice.
- Take 1/3 cup daily for a month 15 minutes before meals three times a day.
Attention! Every day you need to squeeze fresh juice, but if this is not possible, it can be stored for no more than a day in the refrigerator.
- Wash fresh tubers, chop finely and dry, grind into powder in a coffee grinder. Take daily 1 teaspoon of powder twice a day before meals for a month.
- You can take fresh tubers, which are grated before use. You should make at least 1 tablespoon of grated Jerusalem artichoke. Take before meals twice a day for a month.
To cleanse the body
Every day you need to eat at least 100 g of Jerusalem artichoke in any form: cheese, boiled, baked, fried, drink freshly squeezed juice. Consume for at least 1 month.
A short-term introduction to the diet will not give an effect.
- Wash the tubers and grate.
- Pour 250 g of pulp with 0.5 liters of boiling water, put on low heat and simmer for 15 minutes, then strain and store in the refrigerator.
- Take a month for 0.5 cups of broth 3 times a day.
For the treatment of the gastrointestinal tract
With gastritis, stomach ulcers, high acidity, frequent heartburn, colitis, chronic constipation and disorders Jerusalem artichoke juice is required for intensive treatment... In the future, it must be introduced into your daily diet in raw, boiled or baked form.
- Wash the Jerusalem artichoke tubers, cut them.
- Pass through a juicer or twist through a meat grinder and squeeze the juice, putting the pulp in cheesecloth.
- Take 15 minutes before meals, 2 times a day, 0.5 cups.
- The course of treatment is 1 month.
Attention! An earthen pear is a real salvation for nausea, it works almost instantly. You can drink 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed juice. If this is not possible, then just eat a few pieces of raw Jerusalem artichoke.
Earthen Pear May Relieve Many Chronic Diseasesas well as cure them in the initial stages. It will help strengthen the immune system and cleanse the body of toxins. But the main condition is regular use, please note that in all recipes the course of application is 1 month.
Natural remedies have a cumulative rather than instant effect. Therefore, a tangible result will appear no earlier than in a month.
We suggest you watch a video about the benefits and dangers of Jerusalem artichoke: