Cabbage is a vegetable of almost daily consumption. It can be consumed fresh, pickled or pickled.
The high content of nutrients, vitamins and minerals, as well as excellent taste make this vegetable a frequent guest at the dinner table in every home.
Today we will characterize this variety of white cabbage, talk about the advantages and disadvantages. You will also learn how to grow seedlings from seeds and how to properly care for them while growing.
History of occurrence and description
White cabbage of the "Gift" variety has been grown for a very long time. This variety was included in the state register of breeding achievements in 1961. "Gift" was launched at the Gribovskaya Experimental Station, now the "Federal Center for Vegetable Growing". This variety was created for commercial production, but became widespread in private households.
Cabbage "Gift" refers to medium-late varieties. Its ripening period is from 4 to 4.5 months from the emergence of shoots. Harvesting is carried out from August 20 to September 15.
The plant of the "Gift" variety is powerful, half-raised leaf rosette of medium size. Leaves are wrinkled, oval or rounded, medium in size. Their color is gray-green with a fairly pronounced waxy bloom; the edge of the leaf is slightly wavy. The head of cabbage is dense, medium-sized, rounded. Its weight ranges from 3 to 5 kg. The length of the outer and inner stumps is about 20 cm. In section, the head of cabbage has a greenish-white color.
Here you can see a photo of the "Gift" cabbage variety:
Characteristics, advantages and disadvantages
"Gift" compares favorably with other varieties in keeping quality. It keeps well for up to 7 months. It has excellent taste. It can be grown in any region. The variety is universal, high-yielding. Suitable for both fresh salads and fermentation.
The advantages of the "Gift" cabbage include:
- frost resistance;
- excellent taste;
- good portability;
- head of cabbage resistance to cracking;
- high productivity.
The disadvantages include increased moisture content and exactingness to soil fertility.
Step by step instructions for care and planting
Cabbage seeds "Gift" are inexpensive: the average price for a bag is about 10 rubles. You can buy them in specialized stores, as well as order a parcel via the Internet. When choosing a landing site, preference should be given to places that are sufficiently illuminated by the sun.
This variety of white cabbage does not tolerate shading well, which can affect the yield. Legumes and cucumbers are considered the best predecessors for "Podarok": after them, the soil is enriched with nitrogen, which is beneficial for future heads of cabbage.
And here after cruciferous vegetables, cabbage can be attacked by keel. Suitable soil is fertile with a high humus content. It should be well moisturized and have a neutral or slightly acidic environment.
Planting cabbage in acidic soil can lead to keel disease. Therefore, before planting, the soil must be lime.
It is good to prepare the beds in the fall, bringing in at least two buckets of organic matter per 1 sq. M. Potassium sulfate and superphosphate are added to the soil, 30 g each for the same area, and in the spring, before planting, add 30 g of urea and a glass of ash.
It is necessary to sow cabbage seeds for seedlings 4-5 weeks before relocation to the ground. Shoots are expected for about 5 days. The timing of emergence and transplantation of plants in open ground may differ slightly depending on the climate in the region.
The soil for seedlings is prepared from a mixture of universal soil, sand and turf in equal parts and one tablespoon of ash is added per 1 kg of soil.
The soil should be well steamed or treated with a 1% solution of potassium permanganate.
- Before planting, the seeds should be soaked in water heated to 50 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Then, be sure to rinse with running water for 5 minutes to avoid phimosis disease of the seeds.
- If you are accustomed to using chemical fertilizers, you can then soak the seeds in a growth stimulant solution. These include "Epin", "Zircon", "Humat". Melted water is suitable for natural soaking.
- The seeds should swell in about 18 hours.
- Swollen seeds require immediate sowing.
There are two ways to do this: with a pick or directly into separate containers. With the first method, the root system of plants develops better. The sowing depth is 1 cm, the distance between the rows is 4 cm, and the distance between the seeds is at least two.
Important! The land should be watered abundantly, but without waterlogging.
- The containers are placed in the sunniest place. If there is not enough light, additional lighting is organized with special lamps.
- The emerging seedlings are kept at a temperature of 12 degrees for about a week, then for the development of seedlings, the temperature should be maintained at about 18 degrees.
- Watering is required in moderation. Excessive watering causes a dangerous disease - black leg, from which it is almost impossible to save cabbage.
- When a real leaf appears, you should pick the seedlings: pinch the central root, and deepen the sprouts to the cotyledons.
- After picking, plants should be shaded from the sun.
- After the appearance of two true leaves, you can feed the cabbage by combining the procedure with watering.
Foliar dressing is carried out by spraying the leaves with a fertilizer solution. To do this, prepare a mixture of half a tablespoon and 5 liters of water. Repeat feeding should be before planting seedlings. Before planting in the ground, the plants must be hardened. To do this, take them out into the street two weeks before the transplant, gradually increasing the duration.
At first, plants should be shaded from the bright sun.
Due to the cold resistance of the culture, cabbage is planted in the ground at the end of April and beginning of May.
- Wells are prepared by pouring water over them until dirt forms.
- Seedlings are buried to the bottom leaf.
- Dry soil is poured around the hole to retain moisture.
- At first, the "Gift" is covered with a not too dense non-woven material for faster engraftment.
Some gardeners leave it on for the entire season, which can help the cabbage grow better and be inaccessible to pests. As the cabbage grows, it is spud twice with moist soil. and three dressings are applied, once a month: first with nitrogen fertilizer, then with complex fertilization, and then with potash. An important condition for a good harvest of cabbages is regular thorough watering in the morning or evening.
Attention! In hot weather, do not spray the leaves with cool water.
For successful long-term storage, the heads of the "Gift" are cut before freezing, approximately at the beginning of October, when the air temperature at night is even higher than 0 degrees. Cut with a knife, leaving a stump of 3-4 cm in size, or uproot the plant.
Storing heads of cabbage
The variety is well kept due to the density of the heads. The main thing is to have time to harvest for frost and choose a cool place for storage, for example, a special cellar or a glazed loggia.
Read about which varieties are suitable for long-term storage in winter in this article.
Possible diseases and pests
The Podarok variety is resistant to diseases, but if agricultural technology is violated, it can be affected by a keel. If there are signs of keel, the affected cabbage is removed from the garden and destroyed, the soil is treated with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture or Homa's solution at the rate of 40 g per 10 liters of water twice with a break of 7-10 days.
To prevent damage by phytospores, it is necessary to withstand the seeds before planting in a solution of "Fitosporin" or potassium permanganate. This disease is indicated by growths on the roots. Diseased seedlings develop worse, the lower leaves may wither and dry out.
Stagnant water with excessive watering can activate the pathogens of downy mildew. Spores of the fungus develop rapidly in hot weather. Signs of peronosporosis are dark spots on the upper side of the leaf and bloom on the lower part of it. To combat the disease, watering is regulated, cabbage is powdered with ash, 2-3 times treated with Fitosporin solution at the rate of 3 g per 5 l of water.
The main pests of cabbage are cruciferous flea beetles and cabbage white beetle caterpillars.
- Fleas feed on the pulp of leaves, especially young shoots. You can get rid of insects with the help of ash, spraying with an infusion of garlic (300 g / 10 l) with the addition of soap (100 g), chamomile, wormwood, as well as chemicals Anabazine sulfate (10 g / 10 l), Bitoxibacillin (40 g / 10 l).
- Caterpillars of Cabbage White feed on leaves, gnawing holes in them, impairing the taste and presentation. Caterpillars are collected by hand; in case of a mass invasion, a solution of Intavir is used (1 tab. / 10 l). Spraying should be carried out in dry weather so that the drug remains on the leaves for at least 5 hours. After 10 days, the treatment is repeated.
You can compare the Gift variety with other varieties of cabbage, such as Amager, Slava, Zimovka, Valentina, Moscow late, Sugarloaf, Kolobok, Centurion F1, Romanesco, on our website.
Cabbage variety "Gift" is a wonderful choice for lovers of this vegetable. Following the rules of planting and care, you can achieve a high-quality and plentiful harvest.