Carrots are a healthy vegetable. It is appreciated for its edible roots, rich in vitamin A. Carrots are used to prepare summer salads and can be preserved for the winter.
It has a firm structure and a thin skin. The harder the root vegetable, the longer it can be stored. Sluggish, cracked or with traces of a pest is best salted, dried in a dryer or frozen.
But not all carrots are suitable for long storage. Which one should be stored and which varieties should be preferred? How exactly? We will talk about this in this detailed and useful article.
Features of the structure of the root crop, nuances when cleaning from the beds
The root vegetables of the vegetable can scar small lesions. This ability lasts 8-12 days after harvesting, at a temperature of 10-14 degrees and a humidity of 90-95%. The head of the fetus heals better at 20-25 degrees and humidity 90-95%.
When carrots wither, they lose resistance to disease.... This can be avoided by trimming the tops before or after harvesting. Also, the product must be protected from sun and wind.
Which carrot variety should you choose?
For long-term storage, late varieties are taken. They must be of the correct shape and without damage to the root crop. Keeping temperature 0-10 degrees and humidity 94-100%, shelf life is 4 - 8 months.
Early-ripening varieties are not suitable for storage in the basement, late-ripening ones are needed - the flowering period of which is 4 months.
The best varieties of carrots for winter storage:
- "Queen of Autumn" - its fruits are juicy and sweet. They have a bright orange color. This is a high-yielding variety that will last for a long time and will withstand temperatures as low as -4 ℃.
- "Flaccoro" - is famous for its beautiful roots with delicate pulp and "immunity" to diseases. Suitable for both processing and fresh consumption.
- Mid-late grade "Special Carrots" - has an orange-red conical shape of the fruit. Stored for a long time and without difficulty.
- "Cascade F1" - with a short sharp root vegetable. Has orange juicy fruits. Not whimsical in storage. It is highly resistant to disease. Great for children's meals.
- "Vita Longa" - has long fruits with excellent taste. Does not crack when grown. Contains a large amount of carotene and sugar. It makes excellent carrot juice.
- "Rote Riesen" - fruits are colored orange. Like "Special Carrot", it has a conical shape. Ideal for any kind of processing.
- "Karlena" - is the leader in long-term storage. Cylinder-shaped carrots with a smooth surface. Crispy and juicy on the palate. It is able to maintain its properties until the end of spring.
- "Cardinal" - especially rich in sugar and carotene. Cone-shaped fruits keep well until the beginning of summer.
- Quite a popular variety "Shantane" - has cone-shaped short fruits with decent thickness and firm pulp. This carrot will last great until the end of winter.
Storage methods in the cellar
On the day of harvest, the carrots are washed in warm water without any cleaning agents. Then it is thoroughly dried in the fresh air under a canopy at 10-14 degrees. This "quarantine" lasts 7-10 days. The fruits are then sorted and checked for defects.
The condition of the cellar greatly affects the shelf life. vegetables and preparations. The temperature should fluctuate between 1-3 degrees. Otherwise, the food will go bad.
There are many options for storing carrots in the basement. To choose the right method, you need to take into account the structure of the cellar, humidity and temperature.
Methods for storing carrots in the cellar:
- With the help of sand. The favorite way of summer residents.
- In clay. Keeps well, but not clean.
- Sawdust, preferably pine. Convenient and simple.
- Onion peel. Will preserve the vegetable as well as sawdust.
- Large amount of moss. Great way.
- In plastic bags. Not the best tool, but popular for its ease of use.
How to save carrots in glass jars until spring?
Here are some ways:
- Carrots, grated on a coarse grater, are placed in layers in glass jars. Each layer is sprinkled with table salt. Then the workpiece is sent to the refrigerator. Stored for up to six months. When adding it to food, it is not recommended to use salt, so as not to oversalt.
- Well washed and dried vegetables are peeled and cut into small pieces. Then they fit into a clean, dry jar. The filled container is sent to the freezer. The shelf life is 1-2 months.
- You can grate the fruit on a coarse grater and dry it in a dryer, oven or under the sun. Then place in a glass container. Close tightly with a lid.
- Vegetables are washed and soaked in cold water for a quarter of an hour. Then they are dipped in almost boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Then they are peeled and cut into thin slices. Put everything in jars and cover with hot brine. After - tightly close the lid.
- Cut well-washed fruits into small pieces. Boil them for 7 minutes. After that, spread over the jars, fill with hot solution and close with lids.
- Place the peeled carrots tightly in a container. Then pour hot saline solution and insist for several days under pressure. Then the cans are closed and sent to the refrigerator.
To prepare the brine, you need to dissolve 60-65 grams of salt in boiling water. Boil for 5 minutes. Then strain and cool to 20-25 degrees.
Storage of 3 liter jars in the cellar
Another way to keep a vegetable in the basement is with glass jars.... For this, the vessel must be thoroughly rinsed with detergent and dried. You can also boil it. Then place the carrots vertically in them. It is necessary to leave small distances between root crops. Put a small horseradish root or coniferous sawdust here. Send open cans to the cellar.
What if something went wrong?
Sometimes it happens that, even following all the rules and advice, the products still start to deteriorate. If the process of decay has begun or mold has appeared, you need to urgently respond:
- Check all the vegetables in the cellar. Carrots are often stored with beets. If she also began to rot, then the basement must be processed - it is infected.
- Check if a sufficient amount of air enters the containers in which the fruits are stored.
- Check the distance between the roots, they may not have enough space, which contributes to rotting.
- Measure the temperature and humidity of the basement or other storage area. Most likely there are changes.
Important! It is necessary to carefully examine all carrots and select spoiled fruits. It is advisable to rinse the remaining vegetables in an infusion of onion husks and dry thoroughly.
Additional tips and warnings
For better preservation it is necessary:
- Carry out a stock check in early spring, when the temperature in the basement and on the balcony varies greatly (how to store carrots on the balcony?).
- Rinse food well under running water before sending it for storage.
- Chop the carrots before drying them. This preserves the color and all its useful properties.
- Cover the crop with a felt blanket when the temperature in the cellar drops below normal. This will help prevent hypothermia.
Germination of carrots occurs when the air exchange in the cellar is too high. Air circulation can be difficult to determine immediately. If this happens, then you should shorten the air duct, cut off the young tops and sprinkle the cuts with chalk.
Glass jars are ideal for keeping small quantities of vegetables. The main thing is to create optimal conditions for them and not mix with spoiled fruits. Carrots with various flaws can be dried, pickled or pickled to create delicious and nutritious winter preparations.