Many gardeners set aside a place on their site for planting garlic. Winter varieties are planted in late autumn, and spring varieties in early spring.
The composition of garlic contains active phytoncides that scare away pests from other plants. Therefore, this vegetable is often planted between the rows of various garden crops or near fruit trees.
Thus, the plant protects the entire area from parasites and diseases. Among other things, it is difficult to overestimate the health benefits of garlic. In the article you can read why garlic diseases occur and what to do when the plant turns yellow.
How to determine what has affected the plant?
It is very simple to determine what affected the garlic - a disease or pest.... It is enough to look at its appearance and determine whether the disease is fungal or bacterial in nature, or whether the plant was struck by small insects called pests.
And in either case, untimely protection can lead to the death of the crop.
All garden crops of the onion family are attacked by various harmful insects and the spread of fungal and viral diseases by them.
The main damage to garlic is caused by diseases caused by fungi.... Often the causes of their occurrence lie in the violation of the systems of garlic cultivation techniques.
- With a very dense planting of garlic, air does not flow well to the leaves and root crops.
- Excessive soil moisture.
- Violation of the rules of crop rotation.
- The presence of a large number of weeds and remnants of last year's vegetation in the garden.
- Inappropriate storage conditions for garlic.
Why do the leaves turn yellow?
Garlic leaves turn yellow most often in spring... What to do with this?
- Many gardeners notice that mainly winter crops turn yellow. This occurs during a period of low temperatures in early spring, when the plant is most vulnerable. The root system weakens and garlic draws energy from the leaves.
- Leaves may turn yellow when planted deeply. Garlic should be planted to a depth of 5-7 cm. To prevent the leaves from turning yellow, young shoots are covered with transparent polyethylene foam.
- At the first spring frosts, the plant must be treated with stimulating drugs, such as "Epin", "Zircon".
- There is another reason for the yellowing of the leaves - acidic soil. The acidity of the soil is reduced with lime.
- Leaves may turn yellow in early spring. This is due to the insufficient amount of nitrogen in the soil. What if the garlic turns yellow because of this? To fill this gap, you need to apply mineral or organic fertilizers to the soil.
- With insufficient moisture.
We recommend watching a video about the causes of yellowing of garlic leaves:
Diseases and fight against them, photo
- White rot... Affected leaves wilt, turn yellow, starting from the tips. This disease occurs most intensively during dry times. If the garlic is infected with white rot, it will be very difficult to get rid of this fungus. To protect the plant from disease, mineral fertilizers are used during treatment, and one should not forget about regular watering of the garden.
- Basal rot... The insidiousness of basal rot is that it is difficult to detect until the leaves turn yellow. An effective method of control is the processing of planting material with the preparation "Tiram".
- Asperillosis or black mold... The cause of this dangerous disease is the unsuitable temperature for the normal development of the plant.
Below you will see a photo of garlic diseases:
A vegetable crop can rot when it is grown in the garden or during storage, and the following explains why this happens.
Rotting garlic can be caused by bacterial diseases or white rot (fusarium):
- Fusarium disease develops at high air humidity and high temperatures. With the development of white rot, the teeth become soft and yellow. A healthy plant is infected with Fusarium through the soil.
- Bacterial diseases can be the cause of decay.
The rotting process of garlic can be prevented... To do this, before planting it in the ground, you need to treat the heads with a foundation slurry. As a prophylaxis use "Fitosporin".
The disease manifests itself during the storage period of the crop. When the disease progresses, the teeth become soft and a light bloom is visible on them, which after a while turns green.
Garlic is susceptible to green rot, mainly during storage... The cause of the development of the disease is high temperature and high humidity in the room. To prevent rotting of the vegetable, thoroughly ventilate the room and make sure that condensation does not form in the places where it is stored.
White rot or sclerotinia
The fungus, which contributes to the development of this ailment, affects the plant, both during its cultivation in the garden, and during storage. During the period of active growth of the garden culture, the leaves begin to turn yellow, and a white bloom can be seen on the root crop and roots.
What an effective way to combat sclerotinia is the use of drugs such as: "Quadris", "Shirlan", "Bumper", "Super".
Green mold and white rot can be fought with the help of folk methods.... To prepare an infusion of poisonous herbs, it is necessary to take in equal proportions (50 grams each) of crushed calendula and yarrow greens and pour this mixture with one liter of warm water. The tool needs to be insisted for 7 days. Before use, the finished tincture is diluted as follows: 1 liter per bucket of water.
The disease is caused by the chloroplast virus. The following symptoms indicate the presence of a mosaic:
- dots and stripes of a light yellow hue are formed on the leaves;
- leaves become weak and droop.
It is recommended to fight the disease by spraying with karbofos.
The disease most often occurs when garlic multiplies with cloves for a long time. Carriers of the virus: aphids, nematodes, garlic mite.
Symptoms of the disease:
- Yellow spots appear on the leaves.
- Leaves lose their cylindrical shape.
- Plants affected by the virus are shorter.
In order to limit the spread of the virus, you need to establish a plant barrier... Corn planted along the perimeter of the field can serve as a barrier.
Attention: There are no chemical methods to combat yellow dwarfism. In this case, prevention is the best solution. Only healthy planting material should be used as a preventive measure.
This is a rather dangerous fungal disease. Most often, the cause of the disease is the spores that remain in the ground from the last season. therefore the correct crop rotation of the garlic crop must be observed.
Rust control measures:
- planting material should be treated with a formalin solution of the following composition: 1 part formalin (40%) and 250 parts water;
- the garden bed must be treated with Fitosporin-M before planting;
- if there are a lot of traces of rust on the sheets, then you will have to use the following preparations: "HOM", "Oxyhom", copper sulfate, 1% Bordeaux liquid, saline or tar soap solution.
We recommend watching a video about garlic rust and methods of combating the disease:
Downy mildew (downy mildew)
The disease is caused by pathogenic fungi... It spreads by air. A very dangerous disease that spreads at a high speed and requires a quick response to prevent the death of the culture.
To combat oversporosis, Ridomil Gold MC 68WG, Areva Gold Vg, Quadris 250SC are used.
Fusarium or hot climate disease caused by fungal pathogens... To grow a healthy harvest, experienced gardeners advise using EM preparations in the fight against this disease, sprinkling garlic with biofungicides: Mikosan, Biosporin, Bioreid. Chemicals are also effective: "HOM", "Maxim".
- A solution of lactic acid whey in a ratio of 1:10.
- Treatment of the plant with soda ash 40 g per 10 liters of water.
We recommend watching a video about garlic fusarium and methods of combating the disease:
The disease is provoked by bacteria. Damage in the form of small hollows and wounds is visible on the affected heads of garlic. The denticles change color to yellow... One of the reasons for bacteriosis is insufficient drying of the root crop before storage. There are also circumstances that contribute to the development of the disease - this is a high temperature and high humidity.
Measures to combat this ailment:
- Soil treatment with "Hom" preparation.
- Introduction of phosphorus fertilization into the soil.
- Use of insecticides.
The most effective drugs to help the gardener
So that during storage the garlic is not contaminated, it is necessary to carefully remove the storage area of the spicy vegetable from plant residues even before harvesting. You should also fumigate it with sulfur dioxide - this will be a good disinfection.
Advice: Experienced gardeners are advised to use safer means in the fight against diseases, namely, herbal infusions and other gentle mixtures.
- Shag infusion... You need to take 250 g of tobacco and a spoonful of hot pepper. Pour the mixture with two liters of hot water and leave in a warm place for 3 days. Then filter and bring the volume to 10 liters. Some add an additional 30 g of liquid soap to the finished mixture. Plants and soil are sprayed once every 6-7 days in May, and then in July.
- Wood ash... You need to take 10 g of ash, a teaspoon of hot pepper and a tablespoon of crushed tobacco. This mixture is suitable for pollination plantings 2-3 times per season. This remedy is also effective as a prophylaxis.
- One of the main rules is observance of crop rotation.
- In the fall, you need to carefully remove the beds from last year's plant debris.
- The planting material must be of good quality.
- Before planting, the cloves must be etched in a solution of potassium permanganate or in a saline solution.
- Since rot tends to accumulate in the ground, garlic can be planted on the same bed after 3-4 years.
- Planting needs to be thinned regularly and weeds removed.
The cultivation of garlic is invariably accompanied by the manifestation of various ailments.... Many of them are almost impossible to cure. Therefore, it is very important to adhere to preventive rules. The most effective protection is the correct and timely care of the plant, and the continuous fight against parasites.