We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gardeners prefer to grow tomato seedlings themselves. Its habitat is mainly window sills.
However, in terms of area, they are not so large that a large number of boxes with seedlings can be placed on them. More recently, an interesting way has appeared - growing tomato seedlings in snails.
How to plant tomatoes for seedlings to grow good fruits? Can tomatoes be planted in a diaper and toilet paper snail and how to do it? This and much more, we will tell you in our article.
Sowing a tomato in snails is considered an effective way... With its use, there is no need to fiddle with boxes, often water seeds and seedlings.
The essence of this original method is to save space and get strong seedlings.
The snail is an unusual method of setting soil and seeds for planting... How to plant tomato seeds with soil? In this case, the earth is initially poured onto a long strip made of various materials. This base, together with the soil, is carefully twisted, it turns out something like a roll with a filling.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages, in addition to saving space, are:
- good germination;
- free development of the root system;
- ease of picking;
- the ability to adjust the lighting as a result of turning the snail.
Watering the seeds becomes easier. Water is poured into a container in which a snail is standing, thereby keeping the soil constantly moist. Sowing does not require a lot of soil... Seedlings grow differently even with the same care. The snail, depending on the strength and height, allows you to adjust the landing and diving.
The disadvantages of this method is that when there is a lack of lighting, the sprouts are stretched. In this case, additional highlighting will be required.
Varieties of the way
There are two ways to grow tomatoes in snails for seedlings. You will learn about them further from the article.
From toilet paper without earth
Growing tomato seedlings in this case is carried out without land. Step by step how to plant tomatoes for seedlings in this way:
- For this method, you need to take polyethylene as a basis, from which cut strips 10 cm wide.
- Lay a layer of toilet paper on it and moisten it strongly.
- Having stepped back from the edge 1-1.5 cm, start spreading the seeds every 3-4 cm.
- Put a layer of paper on top of them and spray from a spray bottle.
- Cover with another plastic strip.
- All this is rolled up and fastened with an elastic band.
- The rolls must be placed in a container, into which 2-3 cm of water is poured, covered with a lid and placed in a lighted place. In the future, we must not forget to water.
After germination, it is advisable to fertilize. The first time you need to dive is when 2-3 leaves appear. The spines do not need to be separated from the paper. It is necessary to unfold the roll, cut the seedlings with it and place in a pre-prepared container.
You can read about another method of growing seedlings without land here.
We offer you to watch a video about planting tomatoes in a snail with toilet paper:
How to grow tomato seedlings in diapers?
Snails are good because the roots are not damaged when diving.because the plants are at a distance from each other and the root system does not intertwine. After the seedlings grow up in snails and several leaves appear, they need to be transplanted into diapers.
A diaper is a tomato root wrapped in a plastic bag. Next, we plant the tomatoes as follows:
- First you need to unfold the snail in which the seedlings are located.
- Take a clean bag and pour earth into it - a tablespoon will be enough to level it.
- Carefully take the seedling and put it on the diaper, pour another spoonful of soil on top.
- Then wrap the diaper tightly into a roll. To prevent it from falling apart, pull an elastic band on top. Seedlings in diapers are placed in any high container.
It is very convenient to plant it in open ground. The plant must be unclothed and planted.
We offer you to watch a video about tomatoes in diapers:
The main material for the snail is a laminate underlay with a thickness of no more than 3 mm, which is different:
- good shape retention.
You also need to prepare:
- a transparent container in which the finished snail will be located;
- pharmaceutical rubber bands for fixing;
- packages for creating a microclimate at the stage of pecking;
- spray gun for soil wetting.
Manufacturing of a structure
First thing the laminate backing is cut into long strips 10-15 cm wide... In the future, prepared soil will be poured onto it. After sowing the seeds, the tape is rolled up and secured with an elastic band. This design is called a snail.
Sorting seeds for germination
Seed preparation for germination begins with sorting them.
- Remove empty, broken and small seeds.
- The remaining seed is treated with a solution of potassium permanganate, leaving it in it for 20 minutes. This will prevent the further development of viral diseases (read about seed treatment before sowing here).
- After that, the seeds are washed and fed. The feeding procedure implies that they are kept for 12 hours in a nutrient solution of ash or nitrophoska, of which 1 tsp is taken. per liter of water.
- Then the seeds are soaked for 24 hours in warm water.
- Then they are quenched in cold water, which is changed every 4 hours or placed in a refrigerator for the same period of time.
It is necessary that the tissue in which the seed is wrapped is constantly wet.
After hardening, tomato seeds are sown immediately.
In obtaining high-quality tomato seedlings, soil is of great importance. The soil should be:
It is necessary that it includes:
- garden land;
- river sand;
- perlite and expanded clay.
It is desirable that in the soil intended for seedling into snails, there should be:
- potassium sulfate;
- ammonium nitrate;
To sow tomato seeds in a snail, you must have:
- the snail itself;
- prepared seeds;
- spray bottle with water.
- First of all, the tape is placed on the table so that one end of it is in the hands of a person.
- A layer of soil is poured over its entire surface, which it is desirable to moisten in a growth regulator.
- Seeds are laid out with tweezers at a distance of 2.5 cm from each other, and 1 cm from the edge and top of the ribbon.
- From above they are sprinkled with a thin layer of soil, which is moistened with water from a spray bottle. The ground needs to be moist, not wet.
- After that, the tape is carefully twisted, securing with an elastic band.
The resulting snail must be placed in a container. It must be placed so that the edge to which the seeds are closer is on top. If the ground is lower than the tape, it is filled up. A transparent bag is put on top.
We offer you to watch a video about sowing seeds in a snail:
The photo shows what the tomatoes look like when planted in a snail.
When planting tomatoes, it is necessary to take into account the nuances when leaving. Snail boxes are placed in a bright and warm place.where there is no draft. The film with which they are covered must be regularly opened so that everything is ventilated. As soon as the seeds begin to hatch, it must be immediately removed, there is no need to wait for the sprouts to appear on all the seeds. All this time, watering is carried out from above, and when the roots can reach the sump, water is poured into it. You can also use a spray bottle, but so that the seed material and still weak shoots do not go down the substrate under the stream of water.
We offer you to watch a video on how to care for tomatoes in snails:
When and how to plant in the ground?
Planting tomato seedlings in snails in open ground is performed in April-May. Seedlings must undergo a hardening procedure to reduce the risk of damage in the event of temperature changes. Seedlings are planted in the early morning or evening. Do not perform this work in the presence of direct sunlight.
The snail must be carefully unfolded in order to remove the seedlings... Experts advise planting tomatoes as follows: observe the distance between tomato bushes at 50 cm, and between rows - 70 cm.
It is advisable, after planting, to create a shade for tomato seedlings so that they do not fall on the sun's rays, which can adversely affect their development.
When planting tomato seeds in a snail, gardeners often make a number of mistakes.
- Why are tomato seedlings falling? In order for the seedlings to turn out to be of high quality, do not delay the removal of the film. If this is not done immediately after the sprouts appear, they will stretch out, which will lead to the fact that the seedlings will fall. This is due to the presence of a lingering greenhouse effect.
- In order for the seeds not to slide down, you need to roll up the roll tightly.
- The quality of the seedlings is influenced by a late picking, which is done after the roots appear in the lower part of the snail.
The method of growing tomato seedlings by the snail method is becoming more popular every year. The process of sowing seeds into snails is quite simple. and very effective. It also stands out for its ease of transportation. For example, it is easier to take them to the country house than pallets with pots or bunches of tomato seedlings.