We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Clerodendrum blooms beautifully, attracting the attention of all guests. But sometimes the leaves of this plant begin to turn yellow and fall off.
If the cause of this phenomenon is not identified, the flower can quickly die, so it is important to understand why the leaves turn yellow and take various preventive measures to save the plant in time.
What are such negative processes associated with and how to fix them? You will learn more about this from our article.
Why do the leaves turn yellow?
The leaf plates will tell you about the health of the whole flower. When a few lower leaves turn yellow, don't worry. It is simply a process of dying off old leaves, which took away the vitality of the plant. But if the top leaves also turn yellow, it is worth thinking and taking action.
So, the yellow tint appears for several reasons:
- Only the edges of the foliage turned yellow - this indicates the death of the root system.
- Irregular brown spots - the plant has received sunburn.
- Small pigmentation, differs in saturation - defeat by a fungal infection or other diseases.
- The edges turn yellow, they gradually curl, the plate turns pale - an attack of pests.
- The leaf turns yellow along the central vein - a deficiency of nutrients and trace elements.
The following factors lead to such negative processes:
- wrong mode of soil moistening - the plant subtly reacts to both abundant and insufficient watering;
- waterlogged soil - occurs due to the lack of a drainage layer and holes;
- unsuitable pot - most often the whole thing is in a small flowerpot, in which the roots cannot fully develop.
What to do to save the plant?
The most important thing is to check the condition of the substrate. Then there is an adjustment of irrigation and fertilization. The primer should be lightweight, water and breathable. Plugged soil will lead to stagnant water.
Moisten the soil only with settled water at room temperature (not lower than 23 degrees!). Rainwater can be used. Substrate humidification mode:
- in the fall - twice a week;
- in winter time - once every 2 weeks is enough;
- from March to August - watered, focusing on the state of the upper soil layer (as soon as the first 2-3 cm dry, you can moisten).
If yellow pigmentation is caused by disease, control measures must be taken immediately.
The drug is chosen in accordance with the ailments:
- Dry spot (Alternaria). The most effective fungicides are: Acrobat, Vitaros and Oksikhom. Processing is carried out twice with an interval of 1.5 weeks.
- Anthracnose. To destroy the disease, you will need 3 sprays. Copper sulfate (100 g per bucket of water), colloidal sulfur (diluted in the same way) or Abiga-Peak are used.
- Septariosis. Florists use colloidal sulfur (in the same concentration), Abiga Peak or Vitaros. The break between spraying is 5-8 days.
- Rust. All of the listed fungicides can be used at the same dosage. The preparations Topaz, Ordan and Hom also help well. Be sure to let the plant rest for at least a week. Please note that biological products cannot destroy rust (Fitosporin, Baktofit).
Prevention of yellowing of leaf plates is a good composition of the substrate. It is best to take ready-made soil in stores. If you decide to prepare the mixture yourself, then make sure that the soil includes:
- leafy and sod land;
- coarse river sand;
- drainage (this can be broken brick, pieces of foam or clay products).
Watch your watering frequency. Soil health is your main indicator. After watering, it is recommended to loosen the soil. Combine top dressing with watering. It is best to choose ready-made nutritional complexes. Apply twice a month. In hot weather, you need to spray the leaf plates daily.
Ventilate the area regularly, but avoid drafts.
Also, do not put the flowerpot in the most illuminated place. Otherwise, at lunchtime, the sun's rays will burn the sheet plates. The clerodendrum needs diffused light.
We bring to your attention materials about the types of clerodendrum, as well as why clerodendrum does not bloom, how to provide proper care for it.
Why do leaves fall?
Falling leaves are usually associated with the same problems as yellowing. Also the loss of foliage is caused by hot dry air and excess sunlight.
To eliminate the problem, it is enough to spray the flower in the heat and do not put the flowerpot near the heating appliances. If there is no time for regular spraying, place a container of water next to the pot, renew the liquid supply when evaporating.
Prevention of leaf fall is the observance of all the care recommendations listed above (read about the features of caring for clerodendrum at home here).
Other common plant diseases and treatments
We have already mentioned some of the ailments above. We list the following common diseases characteristic of clerodendrum:
- Chlorosis. It appears as white spots on the leaves, gradually the entire plate turns pale. Ferrovit and Ferrylene preparations are well suited. They are diluted to be sprayed or added to the spray water. The dosage is indicated on the package.
- Root rot. Leads to the withering of all parts of the culture. It is necessary to remove the plant from the pot, rinse all the roots, examine them, remove the affected parts, and sprinkle the cuts with crushed coal (ash can be used). Wait until the rhizome is completely dry and plant the flower in a new soil.
- Stem rot. Dark pigmentation appears on the shoots. Remove all affected areas immediately, treat healthy parts with a fungicide. Adjust the watering mode.
- Powdery mildew. A bloom of white appears on the leaves. Cut off all infected parts, treat the healthy part with a fungicide. Reduce the frequency and amount of watering.
- Downy mildew. A plaque also appears, but this time it is covered with a light fluff. Control and prevention measures are the same as in the case of powdery mildew.
Clerodendrum is an original plant that will become one of the main flower plants in your collection. But in order to achieve an attractive appearance, it is necessary to provide the culture with proper care and timely fight against diseases and pests.