We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The situation with the coronavirus is frightening, while the lack of pharmacy antiseptics, which until recently were not needed by anyone, confuses many people.
But many do not know that a common drug, which is sold in the pharmacy under the name formic alcohol, can be used for this purpose.
What it is?
Formic alcohol - the same ethyl alcohol, only contains acid. It is a clear liquid with a pungent alcoholic odor. The product is used in pure form or as one of the components in the production of medicinal creams and ointments. This product can be purchased at any pharmacy and does not require a prescription.
There are only two components in alcohol, while only 70% ethyl alcohol is required to fight viruses and prevent coronavirus. The second component of the product is formic alcohol.
reference: This remedy is better than vodka, which, as it turned out, is almost useless against viruses, since the percentage of alcohol in it is small.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main virtue of alcohol is local and distracting. When applied to the skin, the product causes a rush of blood to the treated area and fills with oxygen. Also, the drug has a disinfecting and antiseptic effect.
Besides, There are several other positive aspects to formic alcohol:
- no water is needed to handle hands;
- the virus does not spread to surrounding objects as in the case of water splashes;
- unlike soap, such an antiseptic does not irritate the skin of the hands;
- there is no stickiness effect like gel antiseptics;
- antiseptic has a high ability to destroy harmful microbes;
- in comparison with antiseptics that contain povidone-iodine, formic alcohol does not cause allergic dermatitis;
- does not harm "good" microflora;
- does not have a systemic antibacterial effect, therefore it does not impair health;
- a convenient container can be carried in a bag and can be used for protection at any time.
But the formic alcohol product also has several disadvantages:
- removes the top layer of fat from the skin, which negatively affects the protective functions of the epidermis;
- can sometimes cause allergies;
- too frequent use of such an antiseptic leads to the development of multidrug resistance.
How to cook with your own hands: step by step instructions
To prepare a hand sanitizer, you will need:
- formic alcohol - 100 ml;
- hydrogen peroxide 3% - 10 ml;
- glycerin - 5 ml;
- sterile boiled cold water - 20 ml.
To prepare the mixture, you need to take a plastic or glass container, stock up on measuring cups, and prepare small spray bottles for the finished antiseptic.
Step-by-step process for preparing the product:
- Pour alcohol into the prepared clean container.
- Then add the required amount of hydrogen peroxide using a beaker.
- Then add glycerin using a beaker.
- Add cold boiled water, mix gently and shake. To prevent the antiseptic solution from evaporating, the container must be immediately closed with a lid or screw cap.
- Pour the finished product into the container that you intend to use.
reference: Before using the antiseptic, you must quarantine it for three days. This will allow time for the destruction of harmful microorganisms that may be found in formic alcohol or in reusable vials.
How much will it cost?
The price of an average antiseptic is not that expensive, but not cheap either - 150 rubles per 50 ml bottle.
When making a sanitizer yourself, you can significantly save:
- The cost of formic alcohol in a pharmacy for 100 ml is on average 30 rubles.
- The price of glycerin 25 gr - 10 rubles.
- Hydrogen peroxide 3% costs about 15 rubles per 100 ml bottle.
- If you calculate the manufacturing costs, you get: 30 + 10 + 15 = 55 rubles... If you calculate the dosage of the components according to the recipe above, it will be even cheaper.
Thus, a homemade antiseptic is inexpensive, and its quality will be the same as that of ready-made sanitizers sold in pharmacies.
For the sanitizer to be as effective as possible, you need to use at least 3 ml of this product at a time. The antiseptic applied to the skin should completely cover the surface of the hands.
The processing time is also important. To kill the viruses, you need to wipe your hands with a sanitizer for 40 seconds.
reference: Very often it is not necessary to use this remedy, as the skin will become dry. If this happens, then you need to use moisturizing cosmetics.
You also don't need to make a large amount of hand sanitizer right away. You should do as much as a person spends in a week. To extend the shelf life of the composition, you can add vitamin E to it.
In addition, the substances included in the sanitizer can provoke allergies. Therefore, before using the product, a skin sensitivity test must be performed.
To do this, apply a little product to the elbow bend. If no reaction occurs within 12 hours, then the product is safe for permanent use.
Formic alcohol has become popular due to its medicinal properties, availability and lack of contraindications. But, being a full-fledged medicine, it requires compliance with the rules of application and taking into account the individual characteristics of a person.