Melissa is a fragrant plant, the properties, harm and health benefits of which, if used correctly, we will consider in this article. Melissa officinalis has very extensive useful properties, has an impressive list of indications for use, but it also has contraindications.
Since the beginning of the existence of civilization, medicinal properties have been attributed to it. This plant has an unusual lemon flavor, which is why lemon balm was nicknamed lemon mint.
In the article, we will figure out what kind of plant it is, what the herb is for, what are its benefits and harms for the adult body, is it possible for children and what is useful for them, soothes or not, what heals and how to use it.
We offer you to look at the photo of the plant, and then we will talk about its useful medicinal qualities, indications and contraindications.
Why is lemon mint useful for the human body, what is its effect and what does it help (from what diseases), soothes or invigorates?
- Lemon balm herb has a positive effect on the brain, improves the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract and the entire digestive system. It helps to overcome headaches and is also an excellent sedative. People with ulcers can take medications with lemon balm for stomach motility.
- Lemon balm infusions will help in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases, migraines, atherosclerosis, as well as in violation of the genital organs. Grass juice can be used as lotions for insect bites: bees, wasps, hornets. Lotions will relieve pain and soothe irritation.
- Lemon mint is also used for oral health and hygiene. Melissa helps to get rid of dental pain, gum inflammation.
- Essential oils with lemon balm are renowned for their calming effect, which prevents colds and helps prevent the immune system.
- This plant is also used as a diaphoretic, as a means of stabilizing weight. For women in a position, lemon balm tinctures are especially useful for a good production of breast milk.
But do not forget that before using any medicinal drug or tincture, it is best to consult with your doctor.
What can be used for?
Many beauty brands use lemon balm in their products. it the plant is able to restore and heal hair with various damages... In addition to improving and treating hair, lemon balm has a beneficial effect on the scalp and can relieve skin irritation.
Melissa can be purchased fresh or as a ready-made hair oil. Such methods of hair treatment with lemon balm are known: masks, decoctions, oils. These main effects affecting the health and improvement of hair can be distinguished:
- Strengthening the roots and hair follicles.
- Improved hair growth.
- Prevention of baldness.
- Normalization of the sebaceous glands of the scalp.
- Lemon balm decoctions are applied to the hair after washing.
- Oils are distributed along the entire length of the hair, also on the scalp. Cover your head with a towel and wait 30 minutes for all the nutrients to penetrate the hair and scalp.
- The same decoctions can be used as an additive in shampoo or conditioner.
- It is recommended to use decoctions after applying chemicals to the hair: varnish, mousse, etc.
- Hair burned with a hairdryer, curling iron or iron can be saved with a decoction of dry lemon balm leaves.
Preparation of the broth
- Pour a liter of water into a saucepan.
- Let the water boil.
- Add lemon balm to the water.
- Let the broth simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain the broth through a strainer. The broth is now ready for use.
Healing lemon balm oil can be purchased at the pharmacy:
- Heat the oil in a water bath.
- Massage warm oil into your scalp thoroughly.
- Roll your hair in a towel.
- Wait 30-40 minutes.
- Wash off any remaining oil with a ready-made shampoo.
For its preparation you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of lemon balm essential oil.
- Egg yolk.
- A few drops of lemon juice (2-3).
- The pulp of rye bread.
Mix all ingredients to prepare the mask. Apply it evenly to your hair and wash your hair like a regular shampoo.
Application for various diseases
Lemon mint is also used to treat a wide variety of health conditions.
- Diseases of the nervous system - lemon balm is used as a sedative, antidepressant and with increased irritability. Can be used as a remedy for insomnia and stress.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract - the medicinal herb is popular among people with flatulence, since lemon balm has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. Melissa also copes with stomach and intestinal cramps. Can be used for gastritis, stomach and intestinal ulcers. In addition, for preventive purposes, the plant is used to increase appetite and normalize the digestive system.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system - if you regularly take medications with lemon balm in the composition, then you are not threatened with the accumulation of cholesterol in the vessels.
Lemon mint has a beneficial effect on blood vessels and improves their work.
- Female genital diseases - mainly, lemon balm decoctions and tinctures help to cope with pelvic inflammatory processes and pain during menstruation. But with a detailed study, you can find several more uses of lemon balm for female genital diseases.
- Skin diseases - for rashes, abscesses, allergies, diathesis and other inflammatory diseases, you can use baths, infusions, lemon balm compresses.
Due to its many beneficial substances, lemon balm can be used in a wide variety of cases. Specifically, for weight loss, there is a diet aimed at tea with lemon balm in combination with vegetables and fruits.
For example, lemon balm infusion is a good remedy. For this infusion, you should boil lemon balm in a glass of boiling water for about an hour. And you need to drink this infusion three times a day before meals (preferably 20 minutes before meals).
But since infusion is not to everyone's liking, you can try tea with the addition of lemon. When making tea with lemon balm for weight loss, you need:
- Cut a whole lemon, pour 2 liters of boiling water over it and let the water boil.
- Then add lemon balm leaves, dry or fresh, and simmer.
- You can add honey if necessary. Tea can be drunk both before and after meals.
For face care
Melissa will help with treatment:
- Age wrinkles.
- Clears pores.
- It will improve the protective functions of the facial skin.
- Get rid of age spots.
To get rid of acne, you can make a lemon balm tincture. And tonic or mycelial water from the herb of the plant will help against wrinkles.
Can be applied to the skin with a cotton pad. Thus, lemon balm will dry out unwanted skin irritations. Boil one tablespoon of lemon balm in 300 gr. water.
Ice is mainly used for cosmetic purposes for the age group over 45. As a good remedy for wrinkles and age spots. To make ice, 30 ml is required. broth add a few drops of grape seed oil. Pour into an ice mold and wait for the ice to harden. After that, the ice is ready for the procedure.
It is very popular in spa salons as a soothing massage. In addition to relieving facial skin fatigue, lemon balm essential oil cleanses and tightens pores, rejuvenates the skin... You can arrange such a spa procedure at home without any problems. To do this, you need lemon balm essential oil, which can be purchased at a pharmacy or in the care department of cosmetic stores.
Massage the oil onto your face and let the oil absorb slightly. As soon as you feel that the oil has stopped moisturizing, you can safely wash off the oil with water at a temperature comfortable for your face.
Overall benefits of the plant
- Provides a guarantee for a restful, sound sleep.
- Reduces pain during menstruation.
- Increases milk flow in lactating women.
- Helps with migraines.
- Relieves neurosis, stress.
- Relieves neurosis, stress.
- Improves the work of the heart and blood vessels.
- Prevents baldness.
Diuretic or not? Lemon mint is also a diuretic, diaphoretic and stimulant.
Melissa contains 44 kcal per 100 g. plants... This list includes:
- essential oils;
- organic acids.
- C (ascorbic acid);
- groups B: B, B1, B2;
Macronutrients (mg / g):
- potassium - 31.2;
- calcium - 13.8;
- magnesium - 5.4;
- iron - 0.1.
Trace elements (μg / g):
- manganese - 24.8;
- copper - 8.88;
- zinc - 46.8;
- molybdenum - 0.24;
- chromium - 0.24;
- aluminum - 105.68;
- barin - 45.04;
- tungsten - 0.16;
- silicon - 0.15;
- nickel - 0.88;
- sulfur - 22.2;
- lead - 1.76;
- boron - 59.6.
No matter how useful the leaves of the plant are, one must not forget about the contraindications. If you have arterial hypotension, then you should not take lemon balm in any form.
But lemon mint can not bring much harm if you followed all the rules for preparing this or that medicine from lemon balm. Or if you apply lemon balm to damaged, inflamed skin, then this can only aggravate the process.
You should not abuse lemon balm, because there should be a measure in everything, otherwise the medicinal herb will not be beneficial, but on the contrary will harm. Before using lemon balm in tea additives or medicines with lemon balm in the composition, consult your doctor.
Lemon mint tea: positive and negative effects on the human body
Why you can drink tea and how to use it:
- Tea with the so-called lemon mint will help you relax and improve the nervous system. Thanks to this drink, sleep, appetite improves, and also improves the condition in case of cardiovascular diseases.
- Lemon balm tea can be drunk by children. And if the child has chronic gastritis or diabetes mellitus, then it is even necessary.
- Lemon balm tea will not do any harm if you drink it not often. But it is also not recommended to drink it for people with low blood pressure, because lemon balm lowers blood pressure.
- Melissa tea is brewed like regular tea. Simply pour one spoonful of lemon balm leaves (dry or fresh) into a cup and pour boiling water over them. To brew the tea, let the boiling water stand for 15 minutes. You can add honey to taste.
Melissa is a very interesting plant that has many beneficial properties. People have long used this "magic" plant and applied it in a variety of ways. We hope that from this article you learned the beneficial properties of lemon mint, which will help for prevention, treatment, or simply to relax and calm down, as well as contraindications for its use.
The composition, contraindications and beneficial properties of lemon balm are described in this video: